A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Taking Action- A Blood Elf Parable

*Written on a scroll in meticulous, elegant script, the story has a small wax seal embedded with the emblem of a sun cradled between two trees and is signed by Seneschal Leneath Dawnrise of House Sunhaven.*

It came to pass that my lady Alleriel Sunhaven, Scion of our House and protector of the Sin'dorei under her care, was troubled. In recent days she had made the decision to withdraw the soldiers of House Sunhaven from Pandaria, fearful of the loss of precious elven lives in that distant land for a cause that had become clouded. Not knowing if she had made the correct decision, she spent a day and night meditating on the issue before emerging from the hall that contained House Sunhaven's reflecting pools, at which point she said that she wished to journey to the Tian Monastery to seek guidance.

It was decided that I would journey beside her to discuss the matter. All of those in our care were safely in Quel'Thalas now, and the trip would be swift one would hope. With this in mind, we packed only minimal supplies in the saddles of our hawkstriders and set out for Silvermoon with some haste. With no magi of our own to open arcane portals, we sought one out within the capital to speed us along our way. This first leg of our journey was taken in silence, each of us reflecting on current events.

Within the city it was an easy matter to find a Magistrix that would open such a portal for us. Not only did the helpful Sin'dorei indicate that she would assist us, she stated that she could open a portal directly to the monastery, which would save us much time. Lady Sunhaven gratefully agreed, and eagerly stepped through the portal intent on finding the guidance she sought. I followed her, and at the last moment before I entered the portal I looked back to the Magistrix. In that moment, I noted with some curiosity that her eyes glowed not with the green of the Sin'dorei, or even the blue of the Quel'dorei we once were, but bright white. She winked somewhat playfully at me, and then the portal took me and I saw her no more.

After a moment of disorientation my eyes opened to see not the Tian Monastery as expected, but instead a towering mountain rising into the distance with the structure we sought only a distant point barely seen at the top. My mouth must surely have hung agape at this moment, for Alleriel turned, a whimsical smile on her face as she nodded towards the mountain and said, “It seems we are to be tested before we can proceed. Let us show ourselves to be worthy.”

It amused me to hear her speak of what would be an arduous trip up the sheer, winding path to the monastery as a simple test, but I nodded and took up my reins, following in her path. It was likely we would need to proceed on foot for at least part of the journey to rest our mounts given our lack of preparation for such a venture. Nevertheless, my Lady steadfastly moved forward, an example for me to follow.

It was perhaps an hour into our trip up the mountainside when we rounded a corner and brought our mounts to a halt, looking at one another and then taking in the scene. Ahead a small portion of the sheer cliffs had broken free, rubble falling on the path and partially blocking it. Before the rubble sat a number of Pandaren pilgrims, a cart pulled to the side of the path and a low murmur coming from them. They glanced up at us, shaking their heads.

“You cannot go any further, it is no use,” said one. The others nodded in agreement behind him as he gestured at the rubble. “We are going to turn back after we have rested. There is no way through that.”

Alleriel merely studied the scene, quietly taking in the situation before shaking her head and dismounting. I watched with some interest as she approached the pile of rubble and began to study it. She smiled, taking the simple wooden staff she carried from her back and resting the end against one of the boulders. With a heave, she used the staff as leverage, tumbling one of the rocks over the cliff edge beside us, the sound of it cracking in the ravine below echoing back up to us.

“You will never move forward if you give up so easily,” my Lady said softly. “It is in the trying, in the perseverance that you gain the strength to remove obstacles from your path. Come, together we can surely clear enough room to pass, and tell the others in the Monastery above of this trouble.”

And so the Pandaren looked at one another and then nodded, rising and moving towards Alleriel. Together they heaved rock after rock over the edge, the work difficult but possible with proper teamwork. After less than an hour it became clear that my Lady's words were true and the path opened before us once more. The Pandaren cheerfully gathered up their things, following us as we continued on our way.

Another hour passed, this time spent in cheerful company as we ascended the mountain path, the Monastery closer above us now, although still some distance away. The path ahead had begun to twist and turn as it rose with the terrain, making it impossible to see more than forty or fifty yards ahead with the winding bends in it. As we rounded one such bend, we were brought up short by a Hozen that jumped onto the trail.

“Wickets go 'way! Go 'way!” the creature bellowed. It was a sight to behold, his body much larger than many of his kind, a giant spear grasped in one hand. As he yelled, he jumped up and down, his empty fist pounding on the ground with a loud thumping noise and setting the Pandaren with us to quailing and quaking with fear.

Several of the Pandaren with us had been carrying spears or staves as they traveled, and they grimly brandished these weapons, advancing on the yelling creature, intent on doing battle with it before it could harm the unarmed and innocent amongst the pilgrims. I winced, realizing that there would be bloodshed on the narrow trail. I must admit my nerves made me shake and the bile in the back of my throat rose to think I would have to witness such slaughter.

Before the first of the Pandaren could reach the Hozen, he was brought up short with a light touch on his shoulder. My Lady Alleriel had dismounted, quickly moving towards the front of the group. She placed herself between Hozen and Pandaren, bringing a hand up to halt them.

“Wait,” she said. “You act with haste and do not take a moment to let wisdom guide your actions. Wait and listen and perhaps you will see that all is not as it appears.”

And so it was. With the Pandaren halted, looking at one another in curiosity, the Hozen calmed himself somewhat, looking over his shoulder. From beyond the next bend came a sound that my Lady's ears had heard underneath the yelling; the sound of battle ahead. The Pandaren nodded, understanding finally that what had at first seemed to be an enemy was, in fact, a friend who was warning them of danger. Alerted now and guided by Alleriel, I watched as the group proceeded with caution, weapons at the ready as they passed around the bend. Following, the scene that unfolded before me made it clear what was happening. A small group of Saurok had assaulted a group of Hozen passing up the trail, threatening to overwhelm the forest dwelling creatures. With battle-cries the Pandaren charged into the fray, my Lady joining them quietly and using her training to help defend the Hozen. It took only a moment for the Saurok to recognize that they would be defeated, and they withdrew in haste, their nimble bodies scurrying over the edge of a cliff and onto a narrow ledge leading downwards that I would not have cared to tread upon myself.

With the threat gone, we took some time to tend to the Hozen who had been injured in the fray, and they gratefully joined us in our journey towards the Monastery. Our group had grown in size, and it amused me to think that what started as a simple journey for guidance had turned into a pilgrimage of so many varying peoples. This thought stayed with me, even as my Lady silently guided us ever onwards.

It was mid-afternoon when we encountered the final obstacle in our path. Rounding a bend and seeing the Monastery looming above us, we came upon a horrifying scene. Standing in the path was a Mogu warrior, his massive body taking up much of the space where one would walk. In his hand he carried a giant halberd, the weapon many feet longer than any that a Sin'dorei might carry and a glinting ax-blade at the end. Behind him, many Pandaren sat on the ground in misery, their hands bound behind them and a general feeling of fear radiating from them.

“More supplicants to serve!” the Mogu's voice bellowed out at us. He waved his weapon too and fro before him, and many in our party stepped back in terror. Never before had I seen such a massive creature, never before had I experienced such terror. How could one fight such a beast on the narrow path? Surely he would conquer us and we would become more prisoners! I am sure such thoughts went through the minds of the others amongst us as well.

There was one who did not quail at the sight of him however; my Lady Alleriel stepped forward, standing between the others and the beast of a Mogu. Calm and composed, she took in a deep breath to steady herself, falling into a combat pose. It was a brave act, and I record it now so that none may doubt that she is willing to put herself at risk for others. The creature laughed when he saw her, towering over her and yelling down at her, “Foolish weakling. You do not have the strength to defeat me! I will make an example of you so that the other slaves do not think to rebel!”

To her credit, my Lady said nothing, simply moving towards him silently. His weapon came down, and I will admit that I closed my eyes, already mourning her passing. And yet, the weapon struck nothing, the blade burying itself in the soil of the trail as she dodged it. Behind me a ragged cheer went up as the Pandaren saw their champion unharmed, the sound followed by a gasp as the Mogu dragged his weapon from the soil and brought it down again.

Again it missed. And again. And so it went on for some time, the creature attempting to shatter Alleriel's body with that cruel blade, and my Lady dodging the blows, nimbly moving from spot to spot or reaching out to slap the flat of the ax-head away and directing the weapon away from herself. I will always be amazed at her speed and determination as she fought, never coming close enough to be struck. After some time, the blade began to rise and fall more slowly, the blows more clumsy as the creature tired itself out. The trail was pitted with divots now from where he had attempted to strike and failed. Finally, the blade slammed home in the soil and despite his tugging, would not come free. Exhausted, he slumped on the weapon's handle, and my Lady walked up to him, a quick kick sending the worn out creature to the ground on his back.

We all looked on in awe, not believing she had defeated him without striking a blow. She smiled at us, nodding at the fallen creature and speaking softly, “Strength of arms is a virtue, but alone it does not win the battle. It is strength of heart and fortitude of mind that sees a battle through to its conclusion. The creature can never defeat you if you fight justly and with the heart needed to attain victory. Never believe you are beaten before the battle begins, or you truly shall be.”

With that she walked over to the captives, freeing the Pandaren. The rest of us followed her, looking at the fallen creature with distaste as we passed it. Once the captives were freed, we all continued up the trail, the Monastery's steps beckoning to us invitingly.

Upon those steps several Pandaren awaited the approaching group, their garb showing them to be monks who lived and trained there. As a group we paused some distance away from them, my Lady walking ahead to stand before them. She bowed low, a smile on her face and a greeting on her lips, “High Elder Cloudfall, it is an honor to visit with you once more. I believe I have passed the tests placed upon the trail, and hope you will give me your wisdom and guidance.”

Even from the distance at which I stood, the confusion on the Pandaren's face was evident. He shook his head, his voice curious, “Tests? We have placed no tests on the trail. Nor were we aware that such a throng of travelers was heading here. I welcome you all, and hope your journey has not been to difficult.”

Alleriel looked up, her eyes wide for a moment as she turned back towards us in confusion, “N-no tests? But then, why did we pass through such trials? I believed wrongly that all of this was designed to see what we would do when...”

Her voice trailed off and a smile crossed her face. It was hard to hear her, but I record her words here as I believe they were important. She spoke softly to herself, her voice serene, “I see it so clearly now. Had we not set out on this journey, I would not have encountered these difficulties. Had I not acted, then ills would have befallen others on their travels. While it is difficult to decide what the right course is, it is the actual doing, the fact that we have acted that has mended these ills. Whether or not I have made the right decision, I have acted. I have not let myself be dissuaded by the difficult path ahead. I have not acted with haste but with informed consideration of the matter. I have not allowed the apparent strength that our allies display to be the only guiding factor, but instead looked to the heart of the matter.”

She smiled at the Pandaren monks, bowing to them and then turning to me, looking more relaxed than she had in days. With a nod, she started back down the trail, even as the pilgrims passed by her and headed into the Monastery. She lightly touched my arm, guiding me back towards our hawkstriders, “I have found the answers I seek. They were within me all along. I had but to listen hard enough to understand them.”

It seems that answers can be found in many places and ways. I hope that the story of Lady Alleriel Sunhaven's journey will help others find their own.

Penned by my hand and will,
Seneschal Leneath Dawnrise
House Sunhaven

No comments:

Post a Comment