A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Memoirs of Light- Part 2

And so the campaign in the North has long since come to a close, leaving the Crusade with a more global purpose. Certainly many Crusaders, myself included, stayed behind in the frozen north for quite some time, overseeing garrisons and keeping a watchful eye on the remaining restless dead. Others returned to the lands most blighted by the plague of undeath, seeking to put those lands to rights and establish new homes and new garrisons there.

For myself, my duties are largely over for the moment. I believe that my skills, my Light is needed elsewhere. My own people suffer, the great divide between those who betrayed the nation of Quel'Thalas and those amongst the Sin'dorei has only grown and strife has lead to the deaths of many loyal Sin'dorei, diminishing our chances of rebuilding.

My first task is to see where I am most needed, and to do this, I must come to understand the nature of our allies better. It has been long since I've walked amongst them, long since I've taken up my duties as a Blood Knight. Although I am somewhat estranged from the others of my Order given my time with the Crusade, I retain my title and my skill in battle, and will go where I am needed most.

I have started this journey in the place most likely to cause me personal distress; that is amongst the Forsaken. Long have I heard tales of their wretched deeds, and of course I am intimately familiar with what they did at the Wrathgate. I have taken it upon myself to travel amongst them to ascertain how deeply the corruption within them lies. Can they be saved? Can they atone?

My first glimpses of who and what they are tell me that they cannot. Darkness spreads its roots deep, and the innocent men and women who would later rise to become walking corpses have lost the innocence and love within them. The spark of Light that resides in all living creatures is snuffed out, their hearts a black pit where evil can suckle until it is ready to emerge. It is for this reason that I view them with great distrust, making every effort to distance myself from them.

It is here I must make an important point, in fact the most important point. In recent times, we have come into contact with races and ways (particularly the Pandaren) who have stressed the importance of patience, serenity, and mental balance. These concepts are indeed noble, and can help cleanse one's spirit, however they also contain a hidden danger. Meekness is a virtue surely, but only when it does not lead to complacency and tolerance of darkness. One can voice one's opinion against an evil all one wants, but if you do nothing, if you allow it to grow, then it will one day consume you and those you love. To allow darkness to grow while meekly decrying its existence is a dangerous path indeed.

Those of my order were not created to be meek. We were forged to be the blades of righteous vengeance. We were trained to be implements of war. The Light teaches us compassion, but it also teaches us that it will stand against the darkness. I will not sit idly by and watch evil grow amongst my allies or my people, no more than I would allow our enemies to take a single step into beloved Quel'Thalas. There is a time and place for the application of violence, and against darkness that time is clear indeed.

I am obligated by the laws of Quel'Thalas to fight beside our allies. This does not mean I must accept them, nor does it mean I must offer them Light when they are aberrations of that very concept. Indeed, how could one even heal such a dead thing when the very magic of life burns them away? No, when a Forsaken falls beside me in battle, mortally wounded, I give them absolution and the peace of death, as they should have been given long ago. My blade was meant to rend in the name of the Light, not to coddle the weak who believe in appeasing that which we stand again. Just my thoughts on the matter.”
~An excerpt from the memoirs of Britanielle 'Britany' Dawnblaze, Paladin of the Argent Crusade.

No comments:

Post a Comment