A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Choosing a Destiny

In the outer offices of one of the Explorer's League buildings in Ironforge, a door opened and was slammed abruptly, the sound echoing through the stone chambers. Deeper within the structure, the booming sound of the wooden door striking the stone doorframe made two gnomes jump in startled surprise. One of them jostled a pile of maps and the parchments tumbled from a workbench, drifting lazily to the floor.

On the other side of the room, a flame haired dwarf rolled her eyes before exchanging a knowing glance with a third gnome that had been working beside her to check off a list of provisions that the two were going over. The dwarf, a young woman who had likely just seen her naming day within the past decade, took in a deep breath and sighed, her lips moving as if she were mentally counting something down. She reached up and removed the glasses she used when reading, setting them on the workbench amongst the provisions before turning and waiting, her eyes glued to the door that lead to the chambers they were in.

Sure enough, when the dwarf's countdown reached zero, the door burst open and an older dwarf with similar flame colored hair and a beard down to his waist charged through the opening, bellowing at the top of his lungs, "THARISSA! WHERE ARE YA, LASS?! I WANNA SEE YA THIS INSTANT!"

He abruptly stopped as he realized that the object of his search was standing only a few feet away, her arms crossed as she leaned against one of the work benches. He also quickly noted that there were three gnomes in the room as well, two of them looking quite timid. He shook his head, his beard waggling as he pointed an accusing finger at Tharissa, "What's this I hear o' you puttin' in yer resignation at t' forge? I told you before, no daughter o' mine's walkin' away from respectable work to be practicin' magic in it's place."

Otin Runestone's tone was angry, and his glare had a fire in it that matched the color of his hair. Unfortunately for him, however, his daughter was bred true and when she snapped back she demonstrated that she was more than willing to meet fire with fire.

"And I told ya I'll do what I want!" Tharissa yelled, her own finger jabbed towards her father. "I'm nae a little girl runnin' underfoot! M' naming day's come and gone and I'll be decidin' my course! I already told ya this day was comin', and you'll nae change my mind on the matter!"

Otin blinked once, surprised at the the fire in his daughter's voice and the stance she was taking. They'd fought about the subject more than once, with him encouraging her to continue her studies at the forge so she could work within Ironforge adding runes and magic to weapons. She was insistent on leaving however, convinced her path lead outside of their home city and to the wider world beyond.

Realizing that she was fired up, he quickly attempted to change his tactics, lowering his voice, "Tharissa...ya know I'm gettin' older now. I just want ta see ya settle down and find somethin' ta make ya happy 'fore I take my rest. Yer skills are well known and could make a life here. I'm just tryin' to make you see what's best for ya, lass."

Tharissa was not having any of the old argument, shaking her head, her eyes blazing, "Ya want what's best for you papa! Ya want ta know I'm here somewhere, workin' a bit at a forge and raisin' little ones. And maybe that'll be me fate one day, but not 'fore I see what's beyond this. There's things to be learnin', and I can do more than stay at t' forge. Ya need to let go sometime."

Otin sighed, shaking his head. He paused for a moment, looking around the room, seeing the two cowering gnomes who were still picking up maps and all of the equipment laid out. His daughter had planned her first adventure well, preparing herself with knowledge of her path and the equipment she'd need to survive in the wilderness or at a dig site. He hadn't raised a fool, and he knew it all too well.

With another sigh he looked back at the still fuming young dwarf, finally nodding at her slowly, "Aye then, lass. Yer decided on this then? Ya won't give yer old papa's objections any more considerin'?"

Tharissa's expression softened as she realized the true nature of the argument. Her father might be gruff and put on an act, but inside he was soft-hearted and actually worried over her. When she replied, her tone was a peace offering between them, "Aye, I'm decided on it. I'll be leavin' in the mornin'. But I'll be comin' back, papa. And when I do, I'll be bringin' fortune and fame t' the Runestone name. Once I discover what I was meant ta find out there anyway."

Otin nodded, his voice low and gruff like gravel, "Fine then. Ya have it yer way. Just don't be disappointin' me out there. Don't want everyone thinkin' the Runestones're craven. And don't be forgettin' what you've learned here, both 'bout yer magic and about the work at t' forge."

Tharissa smiled, realizing that this was as close as she was going to get to receiving her father's blessing, and that in his own way he was telling her to be careful. She nodded, walking over to him and patting him on the arm, "I'll remember, papa. You've nae reason t' worry, and when I'm comin' back I'll buy ya a drink and tell ya me tales o' adventure."

The older dwarf nodded, looking around one last time before turning and tromping off out of the room. Behind him he left his daughter, a beatific smile on her face as her dreams of adventure bloomed before her.

Tharissa Runestone would leave Ironforge and seek out the unknown beyond. She would learn more about her magic, about the wondrous people and places of Azeroth, and when she returned she would bring all of that wealth back with her to help her people craft even more amazing things. It was the start of her life, and in the morning she would take her first steps in the grand adventure.

She could not be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment