A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Blood of the Father

The bath was almost scalding hot, steam rising from the water in waves as Biara eased herself into it with a contented purr of relief. There was nothing like relaxing after a long day of study, and she would soon be even more relaxed if the expensive wine waiting for her by the edge of the huge bathing pool was chilled to her satisfaction.

She sighed again, leaning back and letting the bubbles that covered the surface of the water flow around her, the gentle sound of water spilling into the bath in a constant flow a soothing balm for her weary mind. Teaching her daughter the magical arts was difficult but rewarding, and she could already tell that the young Sin'dorei would be a powerful magistrix in her own right once she came of age. For the first time in a very long time, Biara felt satisfied with her life.

A male voice suddenly spoke as a figure slipped into the room through a window. Biara had a brief glimpse of a nude male body sliding into her bath with her before the blonde haired elf spoke, "Lady Sunfire, I apologize for intruding on your private time, but we absolutely must talk about-"

She rose from the water like a sea monster erupting from the ocean, water cascading off her naked body as one of her hands brought up a deadly wand and pointed it across the length of the bathing pool, her arm steady. Her eyes betrayed shock as she realized just who it was that had joined her in her bath without her invitation.

Braeth'el grinned at her, his eyes roaming over her naked body for a moment, admiring the way the falling beads of water glittered as they passed across the glowing blue wards that started between Biara's naked breasts and trailed their way down to her left hip. They matched perfectly the hue of the wards on the right side of her face and were complemented almost artistically by a matching pair on the magistrix's right hip. After a moment, he tore his gaze from the rather angry Sin'dorei's body and up to her arm, appraising her weapon, "You bring a wand into your bath? Talk about wanting to get completely clean."

Biara gestured at the elf with her weapon, "You would be surprised how often intruders attempt to bathe with me. Stand up slowly, right now. I want to make sure you are unarmed."

Braeth'el's grin widened and he rose from the water, his own body as nude as Biara's. One of her eyebrows rose a bit and she gestured with her wand, indicating he should turn around. He did so, his hands held up in surrender as he allowed the Magistrix to study his rock hard, naked body and of course to check him for weapons. When he finished his turn, he looked at her, noting a slight blush on her face as he spoke, "Satisfied?"

Biara sighed, "Hardly. But it is clear you are not here to assassinate me. Sit. I do not wish to be freezing cold while I decide what to do with you, Braeth'el."

Braeth'el did as he was told, watching as Biara slid into her end of the pool, his gaze never leaving hers now. Somewhere beneath the bubble-covered water she still held the wand and a faint glimmer of magic glowed from her now active defensive wards as the light reached the surface. "Lady Sunfire, as you can imagine, the fact that I am here unarmed and have placed myself in your power shows that I mean you no ill will and wish only to speak with you."

Biara sighed and shook her head, "My sister is the Lady Sunfire now. Given our situation, I am just Biara. Biara Dayfire, daughter of Tel'athar. I suspect that, were he here, he would not wish me to slaughter you out of hand. But state your purpose quickly."

Braeth'el's smile faded and he nodded, his tone soft, "I am glad to hear you speak as you have, Biara. I had heard that things have changed here over the past year. Rumors abound that you have retired, that your sister now rules this House, and that you have given up magic. I see that the last is not true, and the fact that you mention your father's name now is important, because I'm here to fulfill my oaths to him, whether or not either of us like it. I have to tell you something that you may find difficult to handle, but it is vital that I do so now."

Biara nodded and turned slightly in the bath, taking up her wineglass and sipping the wine before speaking, "Things have changed here, Braeth'el. The Biara of a year ago would have killed you out of hand. I have learned that there are far more important things in life than those which I grasped at after my father's death. Speak your peace."

"Biara...you have a half-sister. Her name is Telatha Dayfire," Braeth'el said quietly. "She is younger than you, and was hidden away from your mother's notice in secret long ago. After our...falling out, I discovered her existence and have been working for her ever since."

Biara rocked back in the bath, her fel green eyes widening in shock. With a shaking hand, she set the wineglass down, staring hard at the other elf, "You speak the truth? But why....you say she is a half-sister, which means...My father...."

"Your father was a good, honest Quel'dorei who did the best he could for our nation. He acted with honor and integrity, even when he made mistakes. He was not flawless, Biara, just as you are not flawless, but he was a good leader and one I was proud to follow," Braeth'el said.

"My mother would have had the child killed," Biara murmured. "There is no way she would have tolerated such a stain on her honor. She never knew, did she?"

"No. She never had any hint of it. Nor did I."

Biara considered her former spymaster's words, nodding slowly, "You would not have come here, and put yourself in my power, only to spread a falsehood like this, and one that can be easily verified with magic no less. In addition, a bastard child could not threaten my inheritance or position, so you are not seeking to replace me with her as the ruler of what is left of House Dayfire's estate. You have another purpose."

Braeth'el smiled, "You were always intelligent, Biara. No one ever questioned that at least. Telatha is like your father in many ways. She is honorable, noble, but young and impulsive. I am sure that even here, in your isolated comfort, you have heard of the invasion occurring at the Dark Portal. When she heard of this, she rushed there with her retainers, who are few in number indeed given that they were hidden away for all these years. I could not convince her otherwise, and she spoke of her duty to Quel'Thalas and her father's name."

Braeth'el leaned forward, his voice laced with concern, "I fear for her life, Biara. Although she is powerful with the fel arts, she is inexperienced and this threat...it is one that could destroy our world entirely. And so I have come to you, unarmed and in truce, in the hopes that you would hear my words and consider the legacy that you wish to leave for your own daughter, and to consider what your father's own legacy really means."

Biara's mind raced as she tried to sort out everything that Braeth'el had just told her. Her voice was soft when she responded, her thoughts distant, "What do you wish of me?"

Braeth'el grinned and shook his head, "Come now, Biara, really? I have contacts within Silvermoon. I could have approached any number of noble houses, any number of Magisters to transport materials or supplies there. I could have dealt with pompous incompetence, or inexperienced fighters who would only add to the body count that will occur as I try to keep Telatha safe. Instead, I have come to you even if I risk my life in doing so, because you are experienced. You are not a scholar, not a recluse to sit in your tower and ponder the nature of magics. Maybe that is what you wanted to be, or should have been, but it isn't. You are a fighter, a war leader, a battle-mage. If anyone can find her, if anyone can bring her home safely, it is you. I need you, and if it costs me my life to keep one of Tel'athar's children safe, then so be it. That was the oath I swore."

Biara remained silent for a moment, her gaze staring out into the distance out the window, viewing the beauty of Quel'Thalas all around the tower that she inhabited. When she spoke, her voice was soft, "Braeth'el, a year ago I would not have understood what you've said. I wouldn't have been able to understand what a person would do to protect their child, their legacy. As I said earlier, things have changed here. I understand now the value of family, of my own flesh and blood. All my life I have cared for my sister, Kyliska. We have fought wars together, bled and cried together. If another exists who shares my blood, who is also my sister, then know that I will find her and bring her home. I owe this to my father's memory, and to the Dayfire name."

Braeth'el nodded, his head bowing, "Then my purpose here is complete. I will accept the consequences of my actions."

He rose from the water again, his hands spread out and his voice amused, "I never thought I'd die in your bathing pool, but I could think of worse places to go."

He closed his eyes, hearing Biara as she rose from the water, hearing the flow of it as she approached him. To his surprise he didn't feel the tip of a wand pressing against his chest, but instead felt something cold pressed into his hand. He opened his eyes to see Biara's wineglass in his hand, the amused and naked Magistrix inches from him.

"You are pardoned Braeth'el. I thought once that you had betrayed me, but a traitor and enemy doesn't walk willingly to their death in order to protect one of my blood. But know this; I have my own daughter to consider in all of these matters. I will go and find my sister, but while I am gone nothing can befall Astariel," Biara intoned.

"I swear that she is under my protection, as all of Tel'athar's heirs must be," Braeth'el said, his eyes never leaving Biara's.

"Then we have an accord," Biara said. She pressed a hand against his chest, her manicured nails sparkling with magic. "Sit and relax. I will begin preparations at once. I have heard of plans to go through the portal within a day's time, and I will ensure that I am there to find Telatha and bring her back."

Braeth'el allowed himself to be pushed back down into the water, enjoying the bath and the sight of Biara as she walked away. He grinned, sipping his wine as he noted that she intentionally swayed her hips as she headed towards the exit, only grabbing a towel as she left the room. Alone with a fine glass of wine and a soothing bath, he sighed, enjoying it for just a moment.

"That went far better than I could have hoped for. Let us just hope that our battle-mage can find Telatha before she gets hurt though."

No comments:

Post a Comment