A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Monday, October 5, 2015

Family Politics

Biara took a deep breath to steady herself, closing her eyes and mentally forcing herself to relax. She exhaled slowly, looking down at herself to ensure that everything was in order. She wore a fine dress fit for meeting someone of high station or perhaps even to an assembly of the Magistrate. The gold and red gown trailed down to the floor, golden sandals peeking from beneath the hem. Her arms were bedecked with golden jewelry featuring green gemstones, and she'd had her hair and nails artfully attended to for an extra touch.

Looking more confident than she felt, Biara stepped forward, pushing aside the silken, opaque curtains that separated her from the meeting room beyond and stepping into the richly appointed conference area. The Silvermoon City Inn had excellent taste in decor, and she felt the surroundings put her slightly more at ease despite the lump that threatened to form in her throat. The meeting had been planned well in advance, as soon as Braeth'el had come to her with news of the person with whom she would meet. As she moved into the room, she paused, staring in shock at the person waiting for her.

She was the same height as Biara, and her eyes held the same glint of intelligence in their fel green gaze. The red locks of her hair cascaded down her back, looking so much like Biara's that the two would look almost identical if Biara's hair was not up and held in place by golden combs. Instead of bright blue arcane sigils on her right cheek, the other elf had fel green markings; the symbols as protective as those Biara wore herself although designed to ward off demonic entities rather than arcane magics.

Biara found herself lost in thought for a moment as she stared at Telatha Dayfire, her gaze completely ignoring the rather anxious looking Braeth'el standing off to the side of the room. Her mouth opened and closed a few times, ruby lips unable to let pass the many thoughts tumbling in her mind, her plans for this moment unraveling. Finally she managed to squeak out in a less than dignified voice the greeting she'd meant to give, "G-greetings...sister. This day has been too long in coming." 

Telatha gazed back at Biara, her own look more stern and much less welcoming. She folded her arms across her chest, her battle robes shifting in place and a glitter of fel light accompanying the motion as she gave the other a hard stare. She'd seen Biara many times in scryings, and was not surprised by her appearance, "It is a day that I could have lived my full life without encountering. I am here by Braeth'el's request only."

Biara sucked in a gasp at this, biting her lip for a moment and then nodding her head. She gestured towards the conference table in the center of the room and its comfortable silken cushions as she spoke, "Very well. I shall not deign to believe this is a happy meeting on your part then. Will you at least sit though and speak with me? It would mean much if we could talk for a time."

Telatha shook her head, her voice still hard, "I would prefer to stand, thank you. This is not one of your social calls wherein you attempt to coddle me with sweet words or gain favor. We are at odds, and we shall always be at odds, sister."

Biara nodded again, accepting the other's decision before beginning again, "And I wish that were not so. I understand that you feel some degree of anger towards me; Braeth'el already warned me of this. I only wish to at least make a peace offering, as I believe that family should be united together. We both carry the blood of our father in our veins, and it would be shameful for us to not at least come to terms with one another, for the sake of his memory if nothing else."

Telatha nearly hissed in anger, striding towards Biara so she was inches from her, "In his memory?! What have you done to honor his memory except bring destruction on the House that he founded? How dare you come to me and pretend that we can simply unite with one another after all you have done to the Dayfire name. You brought nothing but ruin to his legacy, destruction to the home that the Dayfires have claimed for millennia, and now you speak of bonding with me? What have you done that has been useful to anyone but yourself, Biara?"

Biara reeled as if struck, and she dimly noted Braeth'el stepping forward towards the two just in case there was actual striking to be done. After a moment to steady herself, she shook her head, keeping her anger in check, "I am sorry that you feel that way. We all make mistakes, Telatha, even a Magistrix. I have done much to correct those wrongs and those who followed my father are now part of an even more powerful House that will survive for eons to come. Our enemies have fallen, and we have supported Quel'Thalas."

Telatha scoffed at this, her eyes narrowed, "Supported Quel'Thalas? How many have died as a result of your actions, sister? How many Sin'dorei now lay in their graves, cold and forgotten because of your 'mistakes'? I will not allow you to influence me, or those in my care. I do not care what apologies you make or excuses you manufacture. You are no better than Selun'athiel, and you shame our father's name."

Biara let the words sink in for a moment, her emotions a roiling pit of anger, guilt, shame, and shock. That the other would speak to her in such a way was surprising, but she'd known the meeting would be a difficult one. There was such a thing as pushing too far though, and she felt herself straightening, her back arched as she gave her half-sister an imperious stare, "I did not apologize for my mistakes, Telatha Dayfire. I said I was sorry you feel that way. I have done what I have had to do for the good of Quel'Thalas. I have made many sacrifices, fought in many battles. Not all of my efforts were successful, no, but we are still alive and more prosperous than ever before."

It was Telatha's turn to reel as if struck, Biara's tone setting her off. She bristled, jabbing an angry finger in her half-sister's direction, "Sacrifices? What sacrifices have you made other than the lives of those foolish enough to follow you? You are a facade made up of lies. A void of soul hidden behind a lovely mask. It is no wonder you have never had a suitor."

If Telatha had meant to upset Biara, then she had found the right key to unlock the pool of rage stirring within her. When Biara responded this time, her voice was an almost venomous hiss, "You know nothing of the outside world. Braeth'el has told me the circumstances of your survival. I'm sure it is very easy to judge my actions from the comfort of your secluded island where none know you exist and none threaten to slay you on a regular basis. Do you even know what lies beneath the marks on my face that you copy so glibly with your own spells? Scars, Telatha. Have you ever tasted a blade's kiss? Have you ever felt poison course through your veins? Or survived the blast of a spell that slays those standing around you only through luck or hastily applied wards? No. You've stayed free and happy on your island, away from threats, away from politics and those who would tear you down."

Telatha fell silent at this, seething but also considering the words. It was true that she had little experience with the world, but having the person who had failed and smeared the family name in the mud speak in such a fashion was an insult she could barely swallow. She shook her head furiously, her hands waving on either side as she gestured, "Enough! I said I do not wish to hear your excuses. I'm oh so sorry that your life has been so difficult. If you stopped to consider, you might realize that half of those difficulties were of your own doing! I don't know why I even agreed to meet with you. I knew nothing but perfumed lies would come from your mouth. It is a waste of my time."

She whirled, turning to go, only pausing when Braeth'el placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her, his voice consoling, "Telatha. I think it would be fair if the two of you at least tried to work your differences out here. I know you've only just returned, and you and I have much to discuss, but I'd like my niece and my employer to at least have some mutual accord."

Telatha blinked at this, her eyes wide as she stared at Braeth'el, "You're my...but how...I don't..."

"Your mother is alive, Telatha. She was seeking you in Draenor and will be returning within a day's time. We have much to discuss and I think that burying your differences with Biara would be a good start towards that," he said softly.

Telatha blinked, tears in her eyes as she stood there, trying to process all of the information that had just been handed to her at one time. She turned, gazing at Biara for a moment before shaking her head, "N-no. I have a family and friends. True friends that support me. I do not need her or her disastrous plans to live my life. I will respect her position within House Sunfire, but House Dayfire belongs to me."

Biara glared at her half-sister, her voice laced with irritation now, "Actually, it doesn't. That is my family name and its properties belong to me as part of House Sunfire. Your island is my property under the laws of Quel'Thalas. You are illegitimate and have no claims. I had not meant to press this issue, as I believe you a capable steward of those lands, but it is the truth of the matter. I have already had the properties registered properly with the Magistrate. I'd done so to keep them in holding for you, but if that is your attitude then know that you will live there by my consent."

Telatha gasped, her eyes wide, "You little bitch!"

"You've told me several times that the things I've faced are not hardships and that my mistakes were easily avoidable," Biara responded sourly. "Now you feel a taste of politics and what it can do to you. Be glad that I do respect our father's memory and that I will not be evicting you or your people from the isle. In fact, I have already made arrangements to have portals permanently established to that location...from House Sunfire holdings. This will ensure that you have all of the supplies you need, which Braeth'el has told me is a necessity as the area is in dire straits."

"You won't get away with this!" Telatha shouted, "I will find a way to remove your influence from my holdings as quickly as possible. I'll...I'll go to your sister if I have to! I will not have you holding this over my head and-"

"My sister will do nothing to stay my hand," Biara commented dryly. "And you'll do no such thing as I will instruct the guards not to allow you access to her if need be. I am not holding anything over your head. I'm helping you, and if you were not so thick headed as to see that then you would enjoy the help and the reunification of our House. In fact, I could even see you legally adopted so that you had actual title to the properties. That is, if you can get over your tirade..."

"Fuck you!" Telatha raged. She broke Braeth'el's grip from her arm and stormed away in a huff, looking so much like an angry, fel version of Biara herself that it almost made Biara smile. She would have if not for the sorrow in her heart.

After Telatha had stormed out of the room Braeth'el shot her a withering stare, his voice sour, "Nice, Biara. Real nice. And here I'd hoped that maybe you'd changed a bit. I thought maybe you'd have softened up what with having your daughter back and things being okay. I can see that you will never change though, will you? You'll always need to be in control. Always need the power. It is what consumes you, and what causes the problems you face. Telatha was right about that, you know."

Biara sighed, emotions crashing through her. When she responded, her voice was low, "I know, Braeth'el. I know. I'm...I'm sorry. It was just the way she was speaking to me..."

"Tel'athar's daughters have his fire," Braeth'el said with a consoling smile. "Perhaps you two will never get along, who knows. I will try to calm her down though. Although she cannot see it, I know that your claiming the island and resupplying it will ultimately be a good thing for the people living there. I will try to get her to see reason."

"Thank you, Braeth'el," Biara said, feeling raw inside. "I did not want to upset her, quite the opposite."

"I know, Biara. Sometimes you just go about things the wrong way though. Maybe there is a lesson here for both of you, hmm?" Braeth'el said with a sigh. "Anyway, I'd best go after her before she sets something on fire in her rage. Try and consider if perhaps there are ways you can mend this. I will speak to your sister of the matter as well. She may have some thoughts about it."

Biara nodded, another sigh escaping her. She said nothing as Braeth'el turned and left the room, leaving her alone in the conference area. Tears filled her eyes after he was gone, the weight of Telatha's words hanging on her heart. What her half-sister had accused her of had all been true of course, but she didn't understand the circumstances. Didn't know the dire straits of the House after Tel'athar's death. It was easy to judge from a distance, comfortably out of danger. It was much more difficult to make such decisions when the weight of many lives hung around your neck like an anchor.

Still in tears, Biara turned, fleeing the room and the city itself, magic flaring on her fingertips as she took herself away to seclusion, to a place where she could sit and think for a time. Life was hard sometimes, especially when politics and family clashed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment