A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Last Stolen Moment

((This story was co-written between myself and the player of Prince Whitedawn. All conversation occurred within World of Warcraft and is being shared with the permission of both players.))


Walking down the golden streets of Silvermoon, Biara paused as she saw a familiar figure approaching atop his hawkstrider. She waves at the mounted elf, her voice carrying as she speaks, "Prince! I've been looking for you."
Prince offers a wave to the woman, "Oh hey, Lady Biara! You have? Can't imagine why." He smirks, dismounting and sending his hawkstrider off to the nearby patch of grass.
Biara nods, looking a little wane and not as graceful as she might normally, "I have. I need to speak with you urgently. I thought you'd be at the spire assisting Selenthiel, but when I looked you were not there and-.... it’s not important, I've found you."
Prince smiles profoundly, "Well, here I am. I've been busy between protecting sample-getters and House Myr'Draeval. I actually am late on my latest report to Lady Selenthiel. What did you need?" He asks, all attentive to her.
Biara steps closer, glancing around and lowering her voice, "I wasn't aware you were working for other Houses or of your other duties. I'm sorry, maybe I should have asked what else you've been doing besides working for Selenthiel."
Prince chuckles, "House Myr'Draeval belongs to Lady Meios Myr'Draeval. It's small, and that’s where I stay most nights. Freeloading, if you will. I suggested training some recruits to bolster its defenses should she become a political figure." He paused for a moment. "Much like you are, or rather.. used to be? I don't know. I have to become acquainted with the rest of your House to find out for myself if you're as prominent as you used to be. And if it's anything like that sparring match we had last time we met, then you're still as competent as ever. Maybe even more." He gave a sincere smile.
Biara shakes her head, her hand almost reaching out to touch Prince, "No, no you were right, Prince. My skills are honed from battle, but I can't do this anymore, not like this. When we spoke, did you mean the things you said? That you'd watch over me? Did they have feelings behind them, or were they just pleasantries you exchanged with me?"
Prince raises a brow at her words, "Of course I meant that I'd watch out for you. We may not be  'together' but that doesn't mean I can't try and protect you, I mean, it's not like I.." He cut off, thinking for a moment. "Oh. shit. I forgot to tell you..." He smacks his forehead, feeling like an idiot. "I have no idea how you're going to take this, so... can you try not to freak out? No magic spells, no violent outbursts?.."
Biara frowns, tilting her head, "I...wouldn't do that to you? I'm not the same person you knew from long ago. I've been through things that have changed my perspective. You can tell me anything you need to tell me."
Prince winces a bit at her words, "Are you sure?... My news may be potentially destructive." He puts his hands up slightly, in defense.
“Please, don't play games with me, not now. Just say what you need to say. I've much I have to tell you myself,” Biara responded.
Prince sighs heavily, "I'm engaged to be wed." He says to her, feeling the weight of his words as he speaks them to her. Knowing deep down, it would hurt if even a little. How was he to remember this stuff? He had been so busy lately, it's not like it just comes up in random conversation. "I didn't think to tell you, because I never thought I'd cross paths with you or your House again. But, I've changed in some ways too, and it's what has led me on the path I tread." He looks down, then back up. "But I did mean what I said. About protecting you. About aiding you in whatever needs to be aided in."
Biara looks startled for a moment, her eyes going wide. Her lip trembles and she shakes slightly. She takes a deep breath, quite obviously choking back some undefined emotion, "I-I...t-that is wonderful news. I'm s-so happy for you, Prince. I'm sure you will make a wonderful husband to whomever h-has been lucky enough to win your heart."
Prince aches at the sight of this.. strong woman. He knew well why she feels the way she does, and it just makes him feel guilty. It could've been her. It could've been her all this time. "Biara..." He says longingly, before shaking his head a bit, "..So.. uhm. What did you want to tell me?"
Biara manages to speak without her voice cracking, but only just barely so. She looks away from him, "I-I...I suppose it is not important now." She folds her arms across her chest, hugging herself and looking back at him, her eyes glistening, "It's nothing I can't take care of myself."
"I'm still here to help. You know the kind of man I am..” Prince said, trying to gain favor with Biara in the moment.
Biara nods, her tone somewhat sullen, "A good man. One who needed better than what he was dealt. I'm happy for you, truly." She turns away from him and shakes her head.
Prince reaches out and places his hand on her head, patting it softly. Something he dared never try, but, he didn't care if there were negative repercussions. "Biara, don't be like this. We can still have what we had. Just no kissing, cuddling, fucking or inviting me out to Gala's to show me off." He leans over to the side to glimpse her face, "Be the proud woman I know you to be, just don't bite my head off for not being yours. Because in a way..." He reaches down to gently move her face toward his. "..I'll be yours somehow, someway. Just not in the way you want one hundred percent."
A bystander nearby blinks and just stares at Prince like he is some type fool.
Biara does something completely out of character for her, she bursts into tears. A moment later she is pressed against Prince's chest, weeping quietly on his armor, "T-they tried to kill my daughter Prince. I-I'm so stupid. I was going to ask you...I wanted to run...to just finally be done with all of this. I thought you and I...but no, you deserved better than that. You left precisely b-because of all of this. You'll be safe now, and happy, and I'm glad for that. I-I just don't...I can't do this anymore."
Prince wraps his arms protectively around Biara, trying to calm and soothe her as he rocked her. "Shhh, shh.. It's okay. It's okay." He tried recalling everything she had said through sobs, stuttering and crying. Finally, he pulled his head away slightly, giving her the sincerest and calm look before responding. "You can't do what anymore? As far as I'm concerned, we haven't made a game plan to get back at your daughters' attackers."
Biara speaks through almost hyperventilating gasps, "I c-can't keep letting my life, my mistakes and connections a-and family bring harm to my loved ones. It's gone on too long. Astariel...she...did I ever tell you how I lost my father? When I was little? It w-was almost the same for her. She almost had to watch, as I did. It can never happen again. I-I was so stupid to think it would end, that I could step away and just do my work and study and raise her." She wipes at her eyes, "I shouldn't be burdening you with this. I-I’m sorry."
Prince wipes away her tears with his finger, "If you were such a burden, I wouldn't have come out of hiding. If you were such a burden, I wouldn't be staying in your life. Even now, if you were such a burden..I'd have walked away the moment you laid eyes on me."
Biara gives him a bittersweet smile, talking through her tears, "Now you tell me, make me feel that I'm important to you. But I can't do this to you. You have a new life ahead of you, and this...it's death. Death to those around me, to the things I treasure. I wanted you to make me run, to go against my instinct. You were smarter than me; you knew when to cut your losses, but I can't take you from her, whoever she is now. She deserves your protection now."
Prince places both his hands gently upon her shoulders, "Don't you worry about what's going on in my personal life, just tell me who I have to track down and put arrows into, 'kay?" He smiled at her, "And what do you mean 'make you feel that you're important.' You've always been important. Just because we’re not betrothed, doesn't change that." He winks at her playfully. "Dummy."
Biara wipes at her eyes, calming herself, she glances around and realizes she's been carrying on in public. She shakes her head, "You walked away, all those years ago. And I fully understand why now. Even I can't take it. You were not the last to do so either."
Prince shrugs, "I was weak. Sue me."
Biara shakes her head, "Being smart isn't weakness. It doesn't matter now. This has to end." She appears to be a little angrier now, "I see now the way it has to be. As others have mentioned, the only way to fight fire is with fire."
"Politically, of course?" Prince asks.
Biara stares at Prince, something dead deep within her eyes, "They tried to murder me in front of my nine-year-old daughter, just as my father was murdered before my own eyes. The person who did this will learn what it means to face a Magistrix in battle. I would have run across Azeroth with you, if you'd convinced me, but there is only one solution now. It can never happen again. Ever."
Prince smiles, "I knew you'd run away with me. But the life I had wasn't the life you needed. I made a decision purely out of love and protection." He centers himself, and puts a small amount of distance between them. "What would you have -me- do?" He asks.
“If I'm to do this, then I need you to promise me something. If anything happens to me, I want you to make sure Astariel is looked after. My sister...has her own priorities. I want her to have a protector. I am naming you that person. If I fall, you take her and run with her, and never let them find her,” Biara replied, her voice pleading.
Prince gives her a very stern, serious expression. "You have my word, Lady Biara." He smirks ever so slightly, "However, I have a condition."
Biara pauses, studying him, "What condition is that?"
Prince looks deep into her eyes, "Whatever happens, no matter what, you have to come back to her. Live." He looks around the area, thinking about something else before snapping back to look at her, "And.. I would miss you too much.." He glances away slightly.
Biara gives him a half smile and sighs, "You could always say the right thing at the wrong time, Prince. I wish...I knew then what I know now, I would have cherished you more. You know me though, and I think you understand that if I do not survive this, a great number of other people will also not survive it. I cannot do any less than fight as my father would have. This is a family matter that has gone on for too many decades." She pauses and stares into his eyes, "Your betrothed is lucky. I hope she is everything you need."
"She is, but friendships are irreplaceable, and I have very few of those,” Prince replied.
Biara smiles, looking sad but at least calm now, "And soon you will have children to bounce on your knee and train to use a bow. Your life will be rich and full, as it should be. I...I really am happy for you, even if I'm jealous a little. Fear of what I'm facing does not cloud that fact."
Prince smiles, "And here I am, having all that you say... and still offering to help you face said fear. In any way I can. An Azeroth without Biara Dayfire... well, that's not a world at all.” He chuckles.
Biara sighs, smiling more despite herself, "Why can't there be two of you anyway? The world is very unfair sometimes. You've bolstered me though and I think I know what I will do now. When a dragon strikes at you removing its head is the most effective way to ensure it does not bother you any further, and that is precisely what I will do."
Prince folds his arms, bringing a hand up to rub his chin, "Perhaps there is a law stating that a man can have more than a single wife?.." He chuckles.
A bystander nearby blinks and facepalms
Biara rolls her eyes, "I'll let you explain that to my sister. After your swollen face heals enough you can tell me what she thought of it." 
A nearby Sin’dorei woman turns to her companion and says, “You ever try to get more than one wife I will set you afire have you healed so I can set you afire again.”
Biara grins, clearly having heard the other woman's remark, "It seems your suggestion is not acceptable to most people, shocking, Prince. Really though, you made that choice long ago and it was a fair one and better one for you."
"But not for you. I'm a pleaser, Biara. I'm sorry I want to spread the love among two people," Prince replied, offering the Magistrix a shrug. "I mean, one is enough. But two would be divine. Say it with me Biara: Two. Wives."
Biara leans forward suddenly and kisses Prince, on the lips even! "You are sweet, and I know you speak from your heart and with a desire to help, but your life will be sweeter without your betrothed murdering you. Or my family. Or my enemies. Or me by accident. I think we both know damn well that I'm going to die alone, and not of old age but in battle. So be it; those who struck my father down will finally get what they deserve."
Prince is stuck with puckered lips. He really wasn't expecting a kiss. on the lips! "Uh huh." His lips quiver a bit before he regains his composure... somewhat. "So. Not. Letting. You. Die. Alone."
Biara pats the side of Prince's face gently, "Then go and find me a long lost brother or something, and do it fast. Because the minute I leave here I'm going back to my spire, and I'm digging through my mother's old things until I find her old ward-ring. And then I'm going to finish this once and for all, and those bastards are going to wish they had never heard of House Dayfire."
Prince shakes his head smirking at her attempt at humor, "I don't think I have a brother... or a half-brother. One of a kind, Biara. If you're going, I'm going with you to help you end this. Besides.." he mulls over the details of the past couple of days. "...I don't have a report due until tomorrow... and I don't need to be back at my Sisters' Spire until the day after tomorrow to continue training the recruits. Sooooooo, looks like you're stuck with me." He shrugs, matter-of-factly.
Biara shakes her head, smiling sadly at him, "No. As much as I'd like to have you by my side, I owe you a debt for what I've put you through over the years. I'll not snatch your happiness from you at the last moment. You and your betrothed deserve better than that." She pauses and smiles, "Besides, you've promised to guard Astariel should I fail. I hold you to your word on that. This is...something I must do alone. Facing my father's murderer has been something I've thought of for many years."
Prince crosses his arms like a child that couldn't get his way, "Fine. You're lucky I keep my promises; else this conversation would've went in a completely different direction." He sulks playfully.
“It is because you keep your promises that I made you give your word. There are so few I can trust, and no one knows of you within my family. They wouldn't look for her there, not with you. I hope not to put you to this test though; I will not fail,” Biara replied solemnly.
“And if you do... I won't,” Prince replied with a grim smile.
Biara smiles at this, and nods, "It is House Dawnslight. I know it is. My mother's House. They hounded her when she was alive, tried to sway my father's will. For years they tried to contact and influence me. Only they would try to murder me in the same manner as my father before me. Only they can be responsible. If I fall, mark that name well, for it is they who will come for the remnants of my family."
Prince thinks for a moment. "Your magical wards... I wonder if...Can you place a magical rune on my body, linked to your life-force?
Biara pauses, "That...would be extremely dangerous. You might...it's complicated, but you might get dragged somewhere unpleasant if I were to pass."
Prince shakes his head, "No, no.. all it needs to do is disappear if you... die. I can't have misinformation find its way to me. I have to instantly know. Then, I will barge into House Sunfire, and carefully try and take Astariel somewhere safe."
Biara nods. She holds out her wrist and removes a bracelet from it, pressing it into Prince's hands, "I use this to speak with my sister. I will craft a third and link it. Should the gem fade, then I have passed." She pauses for a moment, looking at him with a critical eye, "It is a communication device. Please do not use it to hit on my sister..."
Prince winks with his only, critical eye, "I can't promise I won't use it, but hitting on Kyli is like asking to be killed."
Biara grins, "It is, especially since she's entangled with our Master at Arms who also happens to be our spymaster. That gentleman is quite dangerous indeed. But keep this, it will let you know if I fail."
            Prince accepts the bracelet, putting it on as he replied, “Thanks. For what it’s worth, don’t die. Use all of your destructive power. Don’t forget to flush if you have to use the bathroom along the way..um..don’t forget to eat lots of green veggies if...Well, if you plan on eating meat. Lots of it. The veggies allow your body to utilize the nutrients and it seems like you could use some…and…” Prince continues to ramble on about things incoherently until he is interrupted.
            Biara sighs and smiles. She leans forward and hugs Prince tightly. Her voice is full of emotion when she replies, “Thank you. For not forgetting me. For giving me the strength I need. For everything.”
            Prince hugs her back, “Thank you for not letting me forget about you. Is this…goodbye?” He nuzzles her neck, but not in a way that makes any implications.
            Biara holds him for a moment, shaking her head, “Never. It will never be goodbye. I’ll walk through fire to return to my daughter and those I care about. I promise you that.”
Biara gently pushes away from Prince, smiling at him, "I have to go prepare now. I will hold you to your promises my dear friend. Until we meet again, take care of yourself and live well."
Prince smiles, "I guess.. 'You too..' would be entirely inappropriate as a response right now?" He chuckled, half-heartedly.
Biara smiles and nods, "I will. And for what it's worth, a part of me will always love you. Farewell Prince."
"Tsk tsk, stealin' my lines. Who are you? A part of me will always love you too. Farewell... Biara'thiel,” he said softly.
With one final smile and glance, Biara turns away, her magic flaring around her, carrying her back to her spire and the looming battle ahead, leaving one of her dearest friends behind to live the life his faithful loyalty had earned him in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment