A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Memoirs of Light- Part 5

"In preparation for another trip to the North, I stopped at several of our holdings in the Plaguelands in order to make arrangements for the necessary supplies. Of course, I could not leave the region without first visiting Light's Hope for the inspiration that it can give me. I find it especially helpful to visit that place before undertaking a difficult task, as it reminds me of how much has been sacrificed by so many for our cause. It makes my own sacrifices seem easier to bear and lets me understand how each little bit adds to the whole.

While approaching this holy place, I encountered an unusual situation. It seemed that a Knight of the Ebon Blade had decided to stop and observe the chapel and our Crusaders who were working in the area. While it is not unusual for their Knights to sometimes stop by our holdings to exchange information or seek assistance with matters, it is quite strange when one stops simply to observe and understand what we are doing. In general, it is my understanding that such creatures do not tolerate the touch of the blessed ground there very well, so I was surprised when I found her lingering there.

Her name was Galidora Brightsong, which she herself admitted was a rather ironic name for a Knight of the Ebon Blade. Although I have had little contact with those of her Order, I have enough experience with them to have come to expect the somewhat dour and grim outlook and words that such a creature will speak. I say 'speak' but in actuality, the poor soul was unable to form words verbally, her throat having been clearly torn out at some point. She indicated that this was by her own hand, and I did not press the issue. It is not my place to question or judge such blighted souls, only to adhere to the Accords that joined us together once in mutual purpose. 

Interestingly enough, I feel that I could fight beside this Galidora should such an eventuality come to pass. She did not seem eager to use her weapons and ride to war, but rather she was calculating. She indicated that she applied such methods where appropriate to seek the continuation of life. I will admit that although I did not say this aloud, it made me hopeful that there is still something of a soul left in these creatures; something that can be saved or brought back into the Light one day.

Many of my fellow Crusaders and even those who follow the Light believe that such creatures should be destroyed, or should immolate themselves in order to purify their forms. I believe that this is a short-sighted view however; for how can a spirit gain redemption simply from being burned out of a corpse? There must be a reason, a purpose for why such men and women still walk the world with their own free wills. I believe that the Light yet has a path for them, a way for their very spirits to be free of the darkness that has swallowed them. Perhaps it is a blind hope, but I would prefer to hope than to risk such a possibility with harsh words and actions.

After my encounter with the undead elf, I returned to Hearthglen to complete my preparations. While there, I bumped into Fred and mentioned it to him. I recall from our conversations that he has some experience with these creatures and was curious. I was somewhat disappointed to hear him say that such an elf is beyond redemption and to rebut my suggestion that the souls of the creatures could be saved. He was adamant that I was incorrect, and it was disheartening to argue with him over the matter so I let it lie for the time being. 

We have much work left to do in this world, and there will be ample time to study this further. First we strike down the evils that actively endanger our world, then we look into ways to cure, heal, and soothe the wrongs that such evils have wrought. It will be a long road, but one that I am prepared to walk for the rest of my days. Light grant me the strength to do so for a very long time."
 ~An excerpt from the memoirs of Britanielle 'Britany' Dawnblaze, Paladin of the Argent Crusade.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment