A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Old Friends

Braeth'el made his way through the dimly lit tavern, weaving between drunken patrons and tables filled with rather shady characters engaged in who knew what manner of business. Deep in the heart of Silvermoon's Murder Row, the little tavern was a gathering place for many of the city's less reputable citizens and a place where one's business was generally not questioned.

Braeth'el moved deeper into the tavern, the local patrons leaving him alone after taking one look at the muscular spymaster. The people in the tavern had their own worries and tangling with someone who looked like he could feed them their own weapons was not high on the agenda. The general rule of the place was be strong or be a victim, and Braeth'el was hardly a victim.

Furthest from the exit, the light was even dimmer, the patrons this far into the place whispering amongst themselves or drinking themselves into a stupor. Braeth'el stepped over one inebriated tavern-goer and pressed on towards a table near the wall where a lone figure sat by himself. As he approached, Braeth'el took a moment to study the Sin'dorei to ensure he had the right person, and a smirk played over his face as he confirmed the other's identity.

Long red hair was tied up in a top-knot to keep it out of the elf's face. Wearing a studded leather vest with pants and combat boots that had seen long years of use, the elf was clearly in better physical shape even than Braeth'el. Bulging muscles rippled along the elf's arms as he brought a cold ale up to his lips, and scars that appeared to be claw marks were visible even from a distance in the dim lighting. As Braeth'el stepped closer, fel green eyes studied him from beneath the mug of ale before the elf set the glass down hard, giving the other a long hard stare.

For a moment, neither elf moved and then Braeth'el grinned, stepping forward and extending his hand, "Ketheron, you old dragonhawk!"

The elf at the table returned the grin, his hand coming up to clasp Braeth'el's wrist, who did the same, their handshake a well established ritual between two friends who hadn't seen one another for years, "Brae! You salty bastard; I can't believe you're actually still alive! I half expected someone to attack me here in the tavern after I sent that letter."

Braeth'el smirked, turning and shoving a passed-out drunk from a nearby stool and sliding it over to Ketheron's table. He nodded at a passing waitress, gesturing for two more ales and completely ignoring her half-naked rear as she shimmied away to go fetch the drinks. In the hazy smoke and dimness of the tavern's interior he laughed, still studying his old friend, "Come on now, our enemies were a little smarter than that, no?"

Ketheron chuckled, taking another pull of his ale, "No, not really. Anyone that fucked with the two of us at once always ended up paying for it the hard way. Still, it's a relief to know you actually are alive and the rumors I've heard about you are true."

Braeth'el smiled, leaning against the table and nodding at his friend, "You as well. When I got your letter I couldn't believe you'd rolled back into town. Last I heard of you was about some fighting out in the Plaguelands and later Northrend. You still with an outfit?"

Ketheron shook his head, "Nah, my last group was some mercs heading out to Draenor. Finished training that bunch about a month ago. Probably chewed up and spit out by the Iron Horde now from what I hear about that place."

Braeth'el chuckled, "I somehow doubt they got chewed up if you were training them. I'm still alive aren't I? Your training sticks and works well."

Ketheron grinned, nodding, "I suppose it does. Either way, I'm done with that group for now. Probably sign up with some more mercs soon and do it all over again or maybe head out there myself if I've the urge. Figured though I'd check to see if the rumors were true while I was stopped over here. Sure enough, you're not only alive, but still working for the Dayfires eh?"

Braeth'el paused a moment as the half-naked waitress returned, setting two cold mugs of ale down on the table. He grinned, tossing her a few coins before shoving one of the drinks over at his friend, leaving a trail of condensation on the table. Ketheron grinned, finishing his first and setting the empty mug aside before picking up the second, and Braeth'el joined him, taking up his own mug and taking a long pull on the cold ale, "Yep. Got a sweet position there and I'm not likely to be leaving. A lot has happened since you've been gone, Keth. It'll rock your world."

Ketheron smirked, leaning back in his chair, "Well, enlighten me. Is there some trouble or..?"

Braeth'el shook his head, leaning forward and smiling, "Bia's alive, Keth. She was hidden away for all these years by Tel'athar. They had a child together."

Ketheron's eyes widened in surprise and then a large smile spread across his face. He raised his mug at Braeth'el, his voice low, "That...is probably the best news I've heard in many years. Always liked your sister and I'm glad to hear it. It was hard when she left, hard on both of us. Looks like things are turning around for you now."

Braeth'el took another drink, nodding at his old friend, "I'd say so. And it doesn't have to be just me. When I got your letter I started to think back on everything and where we've all been with our lives. I know it was hard for you, after...you know."

Ketheron nodded, his smile fading a bit as he spoke, "Aye, it was hard when Arcadia passed. Sometimes I wish I'd have gone with her. Life just hasn't been the same since you know? Either way, I do what I know how to do and keep living. She'd have wanted that."

Braeth'el was silent for a few, taking a few more drinks, "She would have, but she'd have wanted you to be happy too. You know that. I've got a nice place now, a life I can be happy with. I didn't think I'd say such a thing, but I've found a woman who is to me as she was to you, Keth. I'm settling down, getting out of the business."

Ketheron's eyes widened in shock and he shook his head, "Well...I never thought I'd see the damn day! Who is she?"

"The Lady Kyliska Sunfire, ruler of House Sunfire which is where the Dayfires ended up," Braeth'el said with a grin.

Ketheron laughed, taking another drink and slamming his mug down, "Well fuck me, next I'll be having to call you Lord Braeth'el the Trollslayer or some such eh? That's pretty damn amazing I've got to say. I bet Bia is just about as shocked as I am."

Braeth'el laughed, "I haven't discussed it too much with her yet. She set out as soon as she came back to go fetch her daughter from trouble. I'll have to break it to her slowly so she doesn't faint away."

Ketheron's laughter grew, "Yeah, like your sister's some kind of delicate flower. Please; the woman's kicked my ass enough times for me to know better than that. Likely you don't want her kicking your lady's ass too."

Braeth'el joined him in laughing, shaking his head, "When you meet Kyliska, you'll know that nobody just goes and kicks her ass. She's...a lot like we were, back then."

Ketheron nodded, bringing his mug up in a toast to his friend, "Well, here's to you and the Lady Kyliska then! I hope you really can settle down. Let me tell you though; if you do, you don't ever let her go, you understand? I made that mistake; I thought I knew better how to protect 'Cadia, and I let her down in the end. Don't end up like me. If she's really like Bia, then you two fight together, stand together, and die together one day. Don't let this 'settling down' crap get in the way of that."

Braeth'el brought his glass up, nodding in respect at his friend, "I won't, Keth. And you know that shit wasn't your fault. I think you've spent enough time dwelling on it too. Why don't you stay a bit longer? We've got plenty of work for you, and we've got a pretty little guard captain with a mouth on her that might keep you in line for a few days."

Ketheron barked out another laugh, finishing his ale and slamming the empty glass down, "If you had told me a hundred years ago that it was you ending up trying to get me laid I'd have laughed my ass off at you. Times change eh?"

"They do indeed my friend," Braeth'el said with a smile. "Even so, consider it yes? We could use someone like you around."

Ketheron nodded, "I just might do that. I've had enough of mercs anyway. They fight for pay but they never pay me enough to train them. I don't know about settling down, but if there's trouble I'm always around, you know that. Besides, I want to see this Kyliska that's won you over. She'd better have an amazing ass and tits if she's won the heart of Tel'athar's spymaster."

Braeth'el grinned and nodded, "Oh, she's pretty fucking amazing. And let me tell you, beyond her curves there's a fire in her that you wouldn't believe. She's a fighter for sure, and she'll keep me warm when my bones are tired and cold I'm thinking."

Ketheron nodded, gesturing to a passing waitress to bring them more to drink, eyeing her up like a piece of candy before turning his attention back to Braeth'el, "Good. I'll want to meet her. And of course this guard captain! But before that, let's have another round and how about you fill me in on what's been going on around here while I've been away."

Braeth'el nodded, leaning towards his friend, his voice low, "Ha! So, remember Tel'athar's bitch of a wife? Boy do I have a story for you..."

Ketheron leaned forward as well, a smirk on his face as his friend began to tell the tales of the years between his last visit to Silvermoon, the two talking long into the deepest hours of the night. It was a reunion of two friends from childhood separated by the paths they'd chosen to walk, but still honoring the spirit of their camaraderie from all the years before. When they parted, it was with the knowledge that it would not be their last meeting, and that things were changing for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment