A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Secret Affairs

Kyliska stirred as the bed moved beside her, one fel-green eye opening halfway as she quietly observed Braeth'el in silence for a moment. He had risen from the bed before the dawn, his half naked body illuminated by a small magical sphere he had lit on a nightstand that was just dim enough to avoid disturbing her but gave him light to see. She smiled as she watched him stretch for a moment before bending down and drawing his pants on, his muscles rippling as he pulled a tight fitting shirt on over his head. His hands ran through his blonde hair a few times to neaten it up and he began to walk from the room.

"Where are you going love?" Kyliska said sleepily.

"I've got some tasks to attend to. Nothing important though. You've no need to get up yet, Kyli," Braeth'el responded. He paused by a dresser to pick up several of his daggers, inspecting them carefully before placing them in a sheath.

Kyliska stirred, sitting up and watching him, curiosity building, "At this time of day? And why do you need weapons?"

He turned and walked back to her, bending down and planting a kiss on her forehead, "I always carry weapons, you know that. And sometimes work requires that I be up early. Agents send reports in at all times. You know how it goes."

Kyliska frowned, patting the bed beside her, "I'd rather you stayed here with me. Can't it wait? If it is not important then I see no reason to rush off. Besides, I'm awake now. And naked under these sheets."

Braeth'el grinned and shook his head, "That is an extremely tempting argument, however this particular appointment cannot wait. Fear not, I'll be back before noon and then we can...spend some time together, hmm?"

Kyliska pouted slightly at this, tilting her head as she watched Braeth'el turn to leave, "I wish you would just tell me what you're doing. I'm the Lady Sunfire after all!"

Braeth'el smiled at her and nodded, "And I shall...when there is something to tell. The key to being a good spymaster is rooting through the useless reports and finding the gems of information that are actually important. I will keep you updated!"

With that he was out the door, the barrier closing softly behind him and his footsteps fading away. Kyliska sat in bed, her mood souring the more she thought about it.

Why is he keeping a spy mission secret from me? Why couldn't he just tell me? And why is he leaving so early in the day? This is ridiculous!

Irritated now, Kyliska cast off her sheets, rising from her bed and walking naked over to her dresser. She quickly selected a pair of pants, shirt, and some light chain armor to throw over it before stepping into some boots and hurrying out the door.

The corridors beyond were dark and silent, most of the House still asleep and only a few servants stirring. Kyliska hurried down the hallway, peering through the darkness in search of Braeth'el. Failing to find him, her mood soured further and she turned around, heading up a staircase that lead into Biara's sanctum area. Here Kyliska walked more quietly, careful not to disturb anyone as she made her way into Biara's study, closing the wooden doors quietly behind her.

She made her way to Biara's desk, frowning as she saw stacks of papers all over it; it would take forever to find anything out about Braeth'el's mission if she had to go through all of that! Fortunately, Kyliska felt it was highly unlikely that Biara would simply keep a secret mission dossier on the top of her desk, and so with a great deal of force and very little stealth, Kyliska forced open a cabinet next to the desk that contained more files.

She lit a small candle, using the flickering illumination to pour over Biara's many hand-written notes and folders until she finally stumbled upon what she was seeking; a file with Braeth'el's scrawling handwriting on it entitled Rosellina Cooke.

With a grunt of satisfaction, Kyliska took the file over to Biara's desk, settling into her sister's chair and reading the file over in the darkness, the small sphere of candlelight illuminating a report that slowly made Kyliska's eyebrows perk up higher and higher in surprise and irritation, until finally she felt raging jealously coursing through her.

That son of a bitch is meeting with a human woman and didn't tell me! He kissed her! What the fel?!

In a flash Kyliska was out of the chair and dashing through the hallway. She spotted one of Biara's apprentices and grabbed the Sin'dorei by his arm, "You there! I need a portal opened right now!"

The sleepy apprentice blinked in surprise, his words stuttered as he replied, "L-Lady Sunfire? Should I fetch your sister?"

"No! I want a portal in this hallway two seconds ago!" Kyliska nearly shouted.

"Y-yes of course, Lady S-sunfire. Where would you like to g-go?" the apprentice replied.

"Booty Bay," Kyliska replied grimly.

******************************************************

Braeth'el looked up as the door to the tavern opened and a hooded figure entered the enclosed space, the sounds of the market outside in Booty Bay filtering into the room for a moment. He studied the figure, admiring the generous curves of her body as she made her way through the crowd, her form deftly avoiding the groping hands of the inebriated patrons as she approached.

When she was within a few feet of his table, Braeth'el rose, his hands carefully at his side. The woman, a human, paused as well, reaching up to casually push her hood back. Jet black hair cascaded from the hood, framing a lovely, dark-skinned face and brown eyes that appraised him carefully. Rosellina Cooke looked just as she had the last time Braeth'el had seen her, and for a moment it was as if they were again together in the Tanaris desert sizing each other up.

"Mister Braeth'el," Rosellina said in a neutral tone. "I received your missive. I hope that you are in good health."

Braeth'el grinned, stepping towards her, his arms wide and his voice loud enough for the rest of the tavern to hear, "Ah Rosellina! My desert delight! It is so good to see you again. I've missed you terribly!"

He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly, the entire thing an act designed to throw off curiosity from the other patrons. As he pressed her close against him, he felt her hands roaming over his body, her fingertips deftly finding and identifying every weapon that he had on him. He did the same, smirking as his hands ran over her nicely curved rear, giving it a squeeze....to check for daggers of course!

The life of a spy is quite demanding. So much work to do.

With a grin that was mirrored on Rosellina's face, he released the woman, sinking down into his chair and watching as she did the same. She leaned forward, her shirt designed to give him an excellent view of her cleavage and her positioning precisely aligned such that he would notice that fact. He gave her the courtesy of glancing at her once, but then immediately locked gazes with her; he was not here for games, and he knew any allure she attempted to produce was merely a weapon in her arsenal; SI:7 had trained her well.

"I am here to provide you with an offer," Braeth'el said in a low tone. He spoke now to avoid having the other patrons hear him, all business.

He saw Rosellina shift, her expression making it clear that she understood he was not going to fall for any tricks or play her games. He felt her leg slide up against his, knowing that it was not intended as a seduction so much as to gauge if he was going to tense up in an attempt to stab her. She smiled, her tone not matching the expression, "I have been instructed to hear your proposal."

"We need to know the whereabouts of a Sin'dorei. She resembles the Lady Biara Dayfire, whom I know you have intelligence on. I need to know if she was taken by Alliance forces," Braeth'el stated plainly; it was better to get to the point.

Rosellina nodded, leaning back in her chair slightly, obviously intrigued, "And what do you offer in exchange?"

Braeth'el reached very slowly up to his shirt, taking out a small folder and placing it on the table, "A dossier outlining a recent attack by Iron Horde forces on a Sin'dorei garrison. It details their strengths, movements, and military capabilities in Frostfire Ridge."

Rosellina nodded, studying Braeth'el closely, "I am authorized to accept a reasonable bargain from you. This seems like an adequate trade. You wish me to comb through our prisoner records and any reports of our forces' interactions with Sin'dorei, which I can easily accomplish. The Sin'dorei's name is...?"

"Telatha Dayfire," Braeth'el responded. "I will be personally grateful if you are able to provide information allowing us to locate her. This...arrangement appeals to Lady Dayfire, and should it bear fruit will result in future, similar arrangements against hostile forces."

Rosellina nodded and smiled. Her hand came out and gently slid the folder across the table. She picked it up, judging its weight in her hand before sliding it into her bodice. She nodded at Braeth'el, her voice low, "The deal is accepted. I will provide you with any intelligence I can find, or lack thereof, using the dead drop we've established by the lake. You will have your information within a fortnight."

Braeth'el nodded, "Thank you. It was nice seeing you again, Rose. Take care of yourself."

She smiled, rising from her chair, "I always do. Be seeing you, Brae."

With that she made her way out of the bar, her hood back on to cover her hair and her movements avoiding the patrons again. Braeth'el smiled as he watched her leave, knowing she would do as she said. His smile turned into a frown a moment later as a cowled figure rose from a table across the tavern and began to follow the human woman. This would not have been of concern as he knew Rosellina could handle herself, but it bothered him because he immediately recognized the shape and movements of the figure who followed the spy.

By the Sunwell, why is Kyliska here?!

********************************************

Kyliska was raging. Not only had Braeth'el snuck away to meet with a human woman and an Alliance spy of all things, but he'd....he'd touched her! He'd flirted with her! And she had done everything she could to steal Kyliska's man! She was going to pay for this!

She stalked after the woman, making little effort to hide herself and confident in the fact that the noise of the market would mask her movements. As the woman turned down a side alley, Kyliska followed her, her hands clenched into fists.

She rounded the corner, breaking into a run to catch the woman, only to find the trained spy ready for her. Rosellina ambushed the Sin'dorei, her arm coming out at neck height to clothes-line the rushing elf. Kyliska grunted as she was knocked backwards, falling hard on her mail-armored back. She immediately rolled, deftly avoiding Rosellina's boot as it came down where her skull was a moment before.

With a snarl, Kyliska lashed out with her legs, sweeping the woman's feet out from under her and sending her tumbling into a wall. Kyliska rolled, lurching to her feet and slamming into the spy as Rosellina also stood, the two colliding with another grunt and slamming against the alley wall. Rosellina grimaced as Kyliska pressed in on her, the physically stronger Sin'dorei trying to twist one of the woman's arms. In a panic, Rosellina brought her knee up into Kyliska's crotch, sending stinging pain through the elf's body as the spy then brought her forehead down into Kyliska's face.

Kyliska reeled back, not letting go of her opponent and tearing Rosellina's shirt at the shoulder seam, bits of fabric in her hand as she windmilled backwards. Rosellina lurched forward, her undergarments clearly visible as she lashed out and attempted to punch Kyliska in the face; a move that was blocked by a quick arm thrust from the Sin'dorei.

Kyliska dropped the fabric in her hand, her fist coming up to catch Rosellina in the jaw, "You filthy bitch! Stay away from my man!"

Rosellina grunted from the impact, stumbling backwards only to gasp as Kyliska rushed her and wrapped her arms around her, attempting to squeeze the air out of her in a bear hug. She strained against Kyliska's arms, the two struggling in place, Rosellina's half-covered bosom squished against Kyliska's, both of them panting.

"I don't know if I should break this up, or let you two keep going so I can watch for a bit..." Braeth'el said with a smirk.

Both women instantly turned to glare at Braeth'el, Kyliska releasing Rosellina and shoving her away, "Shut up, Braeth'el! I'm not done with her and then you and I are going to have a chat. How dare you two meet up like this?! In public?! I thought we had something special!"

Rosellina blinked, a smile crossing her face as she wiped blood from her lip. She made a half-hearted attempted to cover her bra, only partially succeeding, "Ah, I see what this is about now. I was wondering why a clumsy spy was following me and then why she was trying to punch me. Who are you?"

Kyliska turned and nearly spat at Rosellina, "I'm the Lady Sunfire, and I'll be asking the questions here harlot!"

"Kyliska! Calm down," Braeth'el said. "It isn't at all what you are thinking it is and I-"

"I SAID SHUT UP!" Kyliska yelled. "I KNOW WHAT I SAW!"

Rosellina blinked a few times, glancing between the two elves and nodding at Braeth'el speaking in perfect Thalassian, "Bedding your employer, Brae? Not very wise, but I suppose you know your business. Lady Sunfire, I am not having an affair with your 'man' as it were. We were conducting business."

Kyliska growled, jabbing a finger at Rosellina, "I know what I saw!"

"What you saw was a standard practice to ensure that neither of us were armed with anything that the other was unaware of," Rosellina stated calmly. "Did it occur to you that Mister Braeth'el is probably something like one hundred and fifty or more years older than me? I think I can find someone my own age, wouldn't you say?"

"She's right, Kyli, it wasn't what you are thinking at all," Braeth'el said reassuringly.

"Whatever, I know what I saw," Kyliska said sullenly. "I should kill you now, alliance bitch!"

Rosellina tilted her head, studying Kyliska carefully before replying, "You could do that, yes. But then of course you'd never hear more of your sister or....your father."

Kyliska reeled back as if the woman had slapped her, her tone suddenly deadly quiet, "What? What do you know of my father? Say what you mean and stop it with the spy bullshit."

Rosellina dipped her head in respect, a smile on her face, "I not only know who your father is, but I happen to be acquainted with him. I could tell you where you could find him, and I could even arrange a meeting for you. That is, of course, if you don't kill me. Not that you could..."

Braeth'el stepped closer, concern on his face now, "Kyliska, what is she talking about? I think we should head back home and let this go. She's an SI:7 agent...."

Kyliska ignored Braeth'el, staring at Rosellina intently, "Tell me where he is. I...have things I want to say to him."

Rosellina smiled and nodded, "Of course you do. I will tell you, but not now. I'd like to leave here alive. I will pass the information on to you in two days time, and will see to it that you can meet him. Is that acceptable?"

Kyliska nodded, "Fine. Get out of my sight then."

Braeth'el held up a hand, "Wait...what is this about? Someone tell me. Now."

Rosellina pulled at the sleeve of her torn shirt, studying Braeth'el keenly before speaking, "Although it is not my place to say this, you should know who it is you work for, Brae. Your Lady Sunfire, your lover, was sired by a Kaldorei long ago. She is not what she seems, and has as many secrets as she accuses you of having. I am willing to aid her in her goals, out of respect for our mutual cooperation in the past, but you should know what it is we are all dealing with here. If you will excuse me, I will go and make myself decent now. Lady Sunfire, I will have the information you requested by the date I have set. Good day to you both."

With that, Rosellina dipped into a bow before rising and slowly backing away from the two elves, leaving a stunned looking Braeth'el to stare questioningly at Kyliska. Kyliska merely looked back at him, sorrow in her eyes as her expression gave truth to the human's words.

"But...why? How could you not tell me?" Braeth'el said softly.

"No one can know, Brae. They'd...someone would kill me if they knew. My mother...she and....it's just so hard to come to terms with," Kyliska sobbed, beginning to weep openly. All of her previous ire had been forgotten in the moment she had discovered that she could meet her real father and tell him all the things that were on her mind.

For a moment, she simply sobbed quietly by herself, her eyes closed in misery. She was surprised then, when she felt Braeth'el's arms wrap around her, gently holding her against his broad chest. She wept bitterly against him, relief flowing through her as his hand came up to pat her hair and soothe her, his tone soft, "It doesn't matter, Kyli. I love you anyway. I can't suddenly stop loving you because your heritage is not what I thought it was. We'll...get through this together."

Kyliska wrapped her arms around Braeth'el, her voice unsteady as she held him tight, "I love you more than anything in the world, and I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner. Only my sister knows."

He continued to pat her, soothing her and calming her, simply holding her for a time. "It is alright, my heart. Let's go home. We can talk about this, and decide what to do. Rosellina is an enemy agent, and if she is offering you information for free there must be a reason for it. I will...tell you all about her, so that your mind is at ease, alright?"

Kyliska sniffled once and then nodded, leaning up to kiss Braeth'el, "Alright. I-I'm sorry too. I should have known....you know."

He smiled at her and shook his head, "I know. Let's get you home and start the day anew, shall we?"

She nodded and her sniffling ceased, "Y-yes, I'd like that."

Together, hand in hand, they walked out of the alley, the future before them uncertain but their bond as strong as it ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment