A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Friday, March 13, 2015

A Dinner Party

Special Note: This story has been co-written with Kyliska!

Kyliska was in Biara’s room and she set aside the dress that she wanted to wear for dinner. Kyli said that she would have it ready for when she arrived with her apprentice and friend Rayleth. Kyliska smiled as she smoothed out the dress thinking about meeting him. She knew that her sister had a crush on him, and she was interested to meet him. Biara did not really date or see people for that matter ever so Kyli was curious to see how she would react. Just through their small conversations Biara seemed very nervous at the thought of having Kyli meet him.

Kyliska decided to go to the kitchen to check on how the dinner was progressing. When Biara and Rayleth arrived, they would start with some appetizers and wine, and then move on to the actual dinner. Kyli thought they should all just sit around for a little bit to get to know each other. Kyliska had also invited Braeth’el to join them, sort of like a double date. Biara would not admit to that fact but it really was.

“Lady Sunfire! Everything is coming along quite nicely!” the head chef said. “We are preparing Miss Dayfire’s favorite meal as you requested. We shall let you know when it is ready, the appetizers will be ready within the next ten minutes or so.”

“Thank-you. My sister and her guest should be here shortly.” Kyliska started. “I just wanted to check on the progress, I am glad everything is running smoothly in here. I had no doubt that it was!” Kyli was in a great mood. She even decided to wear the new green stone earrings that Selenthiel had bought for her. She frowned slightly as she remembered their encounter. Well not their encounter, but when she had met with Andithiel at House Felo’melorn, he was not too inviting. He had angered her to no end, but then she came back to Sunfire Estate and Braeth’el was able to calm her. She then smiled as her thoughts turned to him. He could always calm her, and just make her at ease. She wasn’t sure what they were exactly to each other, and she did not mind. She knew they both cared about each other, and they were enjoying each others company, and she would leave it at that for now. No need to put a label on it for the time being. As long as they were both happy, did it really matter?

Kyliska walked in the hallway towards the front door, and then laughed as she realized that her sister would most likely not be arriving that way. She took a quick look in the mirror on the wall there. Her long blonde hair was down and silky smooth, with some stylish clips bring part of one side of her hair up and making her look a little bit more formal. She was wearing a dark green dress that complimented her figure quite well. It was slightly low cut in the front, but not overly so. She was not used to wearing dresses and walking in heels, but she was trying hard to dress the part as House Scion.

Kyliska started to pace slightly as she waited for her sister to arrive. Now she was starting to get nervous instead of her sister. She was not nervous to meet Rayleth, but she was nervous about the dinner party. It was the first one she was putting together and she wanted everything to go just right!

Just as Kyliska had finished admiring herself in the mirror, a voice spoke softly behind her, Braeth’el’s calm tone a soothing sound, “Well look at you; you’re looking like the Lady of the estate now, Kyli. Very well done.”

The spymaster smiled as Kyliska turned around, admiring her for a moment. He had also taken the time to dress himself for the occasion, his normally rough leather armor replaced with a stylish, button-down shirt that was opened on the top three buttons, a hint of a silver chain around his neck visible against his tanned flesh. The shirt hugged his torso, accentuating his strength and matching well with the tailored pants that he wore. To Kyliska’s amusement, a hint of a dagger’s bulge could be seen along one side of the spymaster’s leg; he clearly never went anywhere unarmed, not even to a simple dinner.

Kyliska whistled at Braeth’el and walked towards him. She smiled warmly at him as she gave him a hug. “Brae, you look so handsome! You do dress up quite nicely! I should have dinner parties more often!” She took a slight step back and admired him once more. He was a sight to see. One thing Kyli could appreciate was his muscular body and he chose his outfit well to show that off. “Also, that dagger is not hidden too well, are you trying to scare poor Rayleth? I do not think we have anything to worry about with him!”

Braeth’el grinned and shook his head, “No, but you never know when one of the structures that you two sisters own is going to come under assault. I’ll not be taken surprise while I’m enjoying a meal. I’ve made security arrangements as well since both you and your sister will be here this evening. No one will interrupt our meal or evening, you have my assurances of that. As an aside, you are ravishing, Kyliska.”

Kyliska blushed furiously. She had a crush on Braeth’el for as long as she can remember and she never got used to him complimenting her. She still could not believe that they had been together and were a quasi couple. “Braeth’el! Stop making me blush. But thank-you.” She laughed. “I am glad that you made such arrangements because I do want to enjoy this dinner! I know my sister is very nervous about us meeting Rayleth. She seems to have quite the crush on him, and it is adorable. From what she has said he seems to like her as well, so this will be very interesting!”

Braeth’el’s eyebrow rose in surprise at this, “She has a crush...on an apprentice? Am I sleep-walking again? What has gotten into your sister lately? She’s definitely a changed Magistrix from recent years. Does this Rayleth know anything about her, or even that she feels this way? Talk about strange!”

Kyliska laughed louder this time. “I know it is quite adorable really! I don’t even know if she wants me telling you this, so shush about it, ok? But just from what she was saying before, she definitely likes this guy. She sent me an image of what he looks like and he is not my taste in men, but seems perfect for her.” Kyliska paused. “And yes she has changed, as I am trying to change. I am very proud of my sister. I think she deserves happiness and I hope this Rayleth will be good for her. I am still trying to hold off judgement until meeting him though. I will have to let him know that if he hurts her he will have to deal with me!”

Braeth’el chuckled at this and shook his head, “I’m sure that will put him completely at ease when you threaten him. I will keep this information to myself though; I’m quite good at that as you probably had guessed. I just checked and the dining room is all prepared if you’d like to go there and wait for them. Knowing your sister, she will likely be precisely on time and not a minute sooner or later.”

“Yes my sister does like to be punctual, but I just want to do something real quick first!” Kyliska leaned into him and kissed him passionately. She clearly had not gotten enough time alone with him today. “Alright I’m ready now!”

Just as the two had begun to break away from the kiss, the nearby doors opened, servants leading the way for Biara and Rayleth to enter. Biara paused, clearly having seen her sister kissing the spymaster, a blush rushing from her exposed shoulders and cleavage all the way up to the very tips of her ears, competing with the deep red and gold dress for attention for a moment. Beside her, Rayleth paused, his black hair artfully arranged such that it looked less of a complete disaster than normal, his glasses perched precariously on the tip of his nose as always. Wearing a formal shirt and pants similar to Braeth’el, he was less impressive, his only saving grace the fact that his height made him tower over Biara and even stand taller than the spymaster. He smiled politely at the two, saying nothing as he glanced at the furiously blushing Biara.

“Kyliska! *ahem* We’ve arrived now and are ready for the dinner you’ve promised,” Biara said unnecessarily loudly to alert the two of her presence.

“Sister, you made it!” Kyliska exclaimed. She took Braeth’el’s hand and walked towards Biara and Rayleth. She then hugged her sister and also hugged a surprised looking Rayleth. “It is so good to meet you, I am Kyliska, but most people just call me Kyli. Welcome to our home! I hope you are doing well this evening!”

Rayleth blinked in surprise at the sudden contact, peering at Kyliska as if he expected her to sprout swords for a moment. Seeing that she was completely unarmed and in fact in a dress rather than battle armor, he took a deep breath and seemed to relax slightly, “Lady Kyliska, I just want to say that it is an honor to meet you. I have been working for your sister for several months now, and I have learned much of House Sunfire. I feel privileged to be invited to your estate, and would like to thank you for the invitation.”

Beside him, Biara managed to finally regain her composure, her blush fading slightly as she smiled at the two before her, nodding at Rayleth’s words, “And Braeth’el, it has been too long since I’ve seen you, old friend. We’ve much to discuss.”

Braeth’el nodded at Biara, eyeing her over for a moment as if suspicious before responding, “We do have much to discuss. Hopefully this pleasant dinner will also allow us a moment to discuss important business.”

Kyliska eyed Braeth’el and Biara curiously. “Is everything alright between you two? You seem….tense…..” she said. “Should Rayleth and myself leave you two alone to talk, or shall we go to the dining room?”

Biara frowned and shook her head, “Oh no, no, that’s not necessary. I’ve been looking forward to our dinner this evening. I’m sure anything Braeth’el needs to discuss can be discussed in front of everyone. Rayleth here is to be my research assistant, and will be privy to much of my business as I travel in Draenor, so it is best that he learn the basics now.”

Rayleth chuckled and shook his head, “As if I could learn all there is to know about House Sunfire in a single dinner Bia- er..Magistrix Dayfire.”

Biara glanced at him, her tone almost scolding, “Remember when I said to call me Biara in private? Kyliska and Braeth’el are family. You need use no formal titles here Rayleth.”

The gangly apprentice ducked his head, looking sheepish, “I apologize Biara. I didn’t realize that it would be alright and didn’t want to offend your sister! Do forgive me!”

“Offend me? I do not get easily offended about formalities Rayleth. I am new to being Lady Sunfire, my sister here has held that title for quite some time.” Kyliska said. “Anyway since we are all hungry and I’m sure dinner is ready now, let us move into the dining room and sit down!”

Kyliska lead her guests into the dining room. A small table was set up with fine china and glasses of wine set up at each place setting. There were some small appetizers in the middle of the table. “Please everyone sit down. Let us get to know one another a little better!” Kyli sat down and looked towards Rayleth. “So Rayleth, you are my sisters research assistant you say? How has that been going for you?” Kyliska started to drink some of her wine, a little too fast, and a servant came to refill her glass right away.

Rayleth blinked in surprise at Kyliska’s question, nearly knocking over his wine glass with his hands as he gestured. He managed to catch the glass at the last possible moment, only a single drop of the wine staining the tablecloth. He stammered a bit as he spoke, clearly not having expected to need to answer questions so soon, “O-oh! It’s been going quite well Lady Su- er...Kyliska? Your sister has been extremely generous both with her time and the resources available to the outpost where she has stationed her men. I am deeply grateful to have been given the opportunity to work with her honestly.”

Biara smiled at this, sipping her wine lightly, her hand shaking slightly as she held the glass. She looked away from the group as her apprentice spoke, clearly nervous. Braeth’el grinned at this, looking between the two and then shooting an amused smirk at Kyliska.

Kyliska smiled sweetly. “I am so glad you are enjoying your work! My sister is a very good teacher! I am sure she is very happy to share her knowledge with you.” Kyli took another large sip from her wine, she almost used the sleeve of her dress to wipe her mouth, but then thought better of it and used the napkin and lightly used it on her lips. She looked towards Biara now. “Sister, you seem awfully quiet, are you alright? I had the chef make your favorite meal tonight, I do hope you enjoy it! Please tell me more about both of your time spent on Draenor!”

Biara jumped, having been picking at a thread on the tablecloth in front of her. She looked up at her sister and took another sip of the wine, drinking quite a bit more than she had the first time. When she spoke, her voice was unsteady for a moment, “Oh...oh yes, well um, we’ve been doing a lot of research at the garrison and um, I’ve been reviewing the new apprentices that were sent from Silvermoon. Rayleth here is absolutely astounding, and has far surpassed the others which is why I decided to offer him the position of research assistant. Um….we’ve had issues with the Iron Horde there, and Rayleth has also been great with that and even aided me in battle!” By the time she was finished, Biara was virtually gushing praise and then she blushed as realized what she was doing. She quickly fell silent and began toying with the thread again.

Braeth’el frowned, leaning forward to study the Magistrix, “It sounds like you’ve had no luck in locating Telatha. Perhaps more resources should be dedicated to that task, hmmm?”

Rayleth chimed in, completely unaware of the tension between the two, “Oh we’ve been doing a lot of scrying, Mister Braeth’el! Actually half the apprentices have been set to this task at all hours. It’s been wearing many of them down. Biara is quite the taskmaster when she puts her mind to it!”

Kyliska laughed and finished her second glass of wine. “Yes I have heard that my sister can be quite the taskmaster! I am glad you are doing well in Draenor, and I do hope you find Telatha soon as well. I worry for her safety as well, she was very nice to me when I met her.” The servants walked into the room and started to remove the appetizers that were barely touched and brought out the main course. A third glass of wine was poured for her. She was drinking more than she had in a while, and it was starting to make her feel a little drunk since she had not eaten much throughout the day.

Kyliska put her hand under the table and onto Braeth’el’s leg. She was hoping no one would notice, not that she cared much if anyone did. “I am so glad sister, that you picked a worthy research assistant! Rayleth here seems to be very proficient in many ways. I do hope he can help you in anything that you might need……” she smirked.

Biara turned a little red at the comment, and quickly picked up a dinner roll and shoved it in her mouth, giving her an excuse not to provide an answer. For his part, Rayleth smiled brightly at Kyliska and nodded as he eagerly began to dig into his dinner, using the wrong utensils and immediately getting a red sauce on the sleeve of his shirt, “Oh yes Kyliska! I hope to live up to the confidence Biara has placed in me. I only want to be there for her should she need anything and ensure that she faces no hardships on my account or on anyone else’s account for that matter. She has been wonderful to me and I only hope I can repay her kindness.”

Beside Kyliska, Braeth’el stirred, studying Rayleth closely, “Not many have said such things about the Magistrix, or been so bold in proclaiming them when they did think them.” He shifted again, was he intentionally flexing his rippling leg muscles beneath Kyliska’s hand? Yes, yes he was. “I’m surprised honestly. I’d have thought that all of the apprentices would be terrified of Biara at this point and beg to avoid being sent into her service.”

Rayleth shook his head, gesturing with a lettuce covered fork as he spoke and chewed with his mouth open, “You know, I had heard all of those rumors, but really that is all they are. Just look at her! She’s a talented, lovely, and powerful Magistrix who has given much for our nation. Why wouldn’t I be pleased to be here honestly?”

After a moment Rayleth’s eyes widened and he looked down at his plate, finally realizing he had said too much. Beside him Biara was beet red, and yet a smile played across her lips as she took her wine glass up again, taking another long sip.

Kyliska drank another glass of wine, clearly not knowing when to stop and not touching her food. “Rayleth, you are adorable if I must say so myself! I absolutely adore you! The way you talk about my sister, it just makes me so happy. She needs someone in her life like you. You both would be quite a good fit for one another, wouldn’t you say Braeth’el?” she said, turning to look at him. Her hand massaging his leg as he flexed, moving it slightly higher.

Braeth’el grinned, seeing that Kyliska had clearly pushed her drinking a little too far, too quickly. He took up his own wine glass, leaning over towards her chair and putting his free hand on the back of it, his fingertips brushing the tip of one of Kyliska’s long, sensitive ears as it came down before he spoke to her almost in confidence, “I would have to agree Kyli. I mean, it is not often that one enjoys magic as much as Biara does, and it would seem our esteemed apprentice here fits that bill nicely.”

Rayleth nearly choked on his salad as Braeth’el spoke, his own face turning a shade of red that was only slightly lighter than Biara’s, “O-oh, well um...that is very nice of you to imply that I would be worthy of such a thing, but we are speaking of a Lady here and I mean, I’m just a farmer’s son and-”

“You are an apprentice, and your lineage is not important,” Biara blurted out, not daring to make eye contact with him. She took another sip of her drink before setting the wineglass down with shaking hands. “B-but I mean, I’m sure you have someone...you know, from back home and all and I-”

“Actually,” Rayleth cut in, “I d-don’t. I’ve always been too busy with my studies and trying to improve my magic you know? It’s difficult to find time to spend away from my books…” his voice trailed off lamely and for a moment both he and Biara turned and looked at each other, eyes wide as they gazed at one another.

Braeth’el grinned, running his hand up Kyliska’s back, “Adorable.”

Kyliska shivered in delight at Braeth'el's touch. She enjoyed his presence and touch immensely. Kyliska was slightly slurring some words due to the wine. "Why don't you two just make it official? It is clear you both have feelings for each other!" She leaned back and meant to fall into Braeth'el and almost fell off the chair.

Braeth’el grinned and caught Kyliska in his arms, shaking his head slightly, “Very subtle Kyli, well done. I’m sure neither of them are mortified now in the slightest. I believe you’ve had quite enough to drink my dear, and perhaps should also not be upright anymore as you’re a danger to yourself and your surroundings at this point.”

On the other side of the table, Biara gone from bright red to pale white, her head bowed and her hands flat on the table before her. She said nothing, her embarrassment plainly written across her face, her posture miserable. Rayleth had stopped eating, a fork-full of something delicious looking paused halfway between his plate and mouth, his eyes wide.

Kyliska shook her head and giggled. "Oh Braeth'el you are always saving me! Thank-you!" She then looked to her sister. "What is wrong Biara? You both clearly find the other attractive and you both speak so highly of one another! I also think you both are so cute!" Her eyes got a little more serious as she turned to look at Rayleth. "But Rayleth do know that if you were to ever hurt my sister there would be dire consequences and you would have to deal with me. I am not a friendly person when I am angry!" She then leaned back against Braeth'el instead of falling this time and sighed.

Rayleth set his fork down carefully, drawing in a deep breath as if composing himself before looking at Kyliska directly, “Lady Sunfire, I would never in a thousand years want to see harm befall your sister. After everything she’s done for me so far, and everything I’ve seen about her, I’ve come to know that she is a rare treasure of Quel’Thalas, and to even think of some dire event occurring to her makes me ill. You don’t have to threaten me, or even question me in this, and honestly I think discussing this in front of her at all is making her feel very uncomfortable. I do not wish to be the source of her discomfort.”

He nodded once at Kyliska, one of his hands sliding across the table and coming to rest on top of Biara’s as if to reassure her. She turned and looked at him, peering through the curtain of her red hair, a smile playing across her face again as she spoke softly, “Well said Rayleth, and you’re not a source of discomfort. My sister… just lacks in subtlety at times… I apologize for her loose tongue, or her presumption that you have such thoughts about me.”

Rayleth grinned and Biara and surprised her with his response, “Who said she was wrong?”

Kyliska could barely contain her excitement and let out a squeal! She did not say a word but looked to Braeth'el and smiled slyly. She tried to whisper to him. "Brae, you are right they are really so adorable! I'm not sure if we should leave them alone or something. I sure could spend some time alone with you, if you know what I meyou

Braeth’el grinned, “You are an insatiable beast at times, Kyliska. But yes, perhaps we should leave them to talk before you drink the estate’s entire stock of wine in one sitting. I suspect you are going to be feeling this tomorrow.”

He rose from his chair, offering his hand to Kyliska to help her up, grinning down at her rather impishly, “Actually, I know you are going to be feeling this tomorrow.”

Across the table, Biara and Rayleth were lost in their own world, the two paying little attention to Kyliska or Braeth’el. Biara’s eyes were wide and her mouth was open in surprise as she stared into the apprentice’s eyes, “Do you really mean that, Rayleth? Do you really wish to risk everything for this? Understand that the things I said to you earlier about the dangers I pose to you would be tenfold if I gave my heart to you. And it was something that would have to be hidden away, only for us to know.”

Rayleth picked Biara’s hand up, interlocking his fingers with hers, his voice steady as he spoke, “I understand the risks involved, and I’m willing to face them if it means I could share my heart with someone whose soul is so alike to mine. I have honestly been dreaming that I could tell you these things for some time now. I’ve admired you from the moment I laid eyes on you.”

Biara’s fingers interlaced with Rayleth’s, her hand holding his tight, “It has been an eternity since someone has been willing to risk this. Know that I have admired you as well, and that I am willing to do my best to live up to what you believe me to be.”

Kyliska watched them as she held Braeth'el's hand and smiled at their conversation. She didn't want to interrupt them but she did want to say something because she just could not keep quiet.

"Sister, And Rayleth I am so happy to see you sharing your feelings like this! See maybe you did just needed a little push to admit your feelings for one another!" She said. "I do apologize if I embarrassed either of you. But Biara I do approve of him. He is sweet and tender and clearly thinks the world of you. He is brave and is willing to protect you. There is no one else I could think of to be with you!"

Kyliska tripped slightly and caught herself before falling. "I'm fine I'm fine! Braeth'el and I shall retire to my room for the evening. You should both stay the night we have more than enough room! Such a pleasure to meet you Rayleth! I do hope I did not leave you with a bad impression of myself!"

Rayleth managed to tear his gaze away from Biara for a moment to dip his head at Kyliska, “It has been an honor, Lady Kyliska. A-and..thank you. I don’t think I could have said what I wished to say without you.”

He turned to look at Biara, still holding her hand, his voice soft, “So what now?”

Biara grinned at him, squeezing his hand in hers, “Now, my dear apprentice, I do believe that the Lady Kyliska Sunfire has officially declared you to be acceptable as my suitor. I believe that this is settled then, and we shall be spending a lot more time together going forward. As she said, you are welcome to stay in Sunfire Estate with us.”

Rayleth’s face turned a shade red again and he nodded, “Then its settled! Er...you have accommodations for me? I don’t mean to be a bother….”

Behind Kyliska, Braeth’el grinned and took her hand in his, gently leading her away from the table and towards the doors leading from the dining hall, “Come Kyliska, let us leave them to work out the details alone shall we? I suspect it’s going to take them all night at this rate and I’d really rather get to bed if you know what I mean.” He grinned and gave her hand a squeeze as he started to move.

"You are welcome!" She said a little too loudly at Biara and Rayleth. She let Braeth'el lead her away from the room. "I do hope they have as good a time as we will be having!"

Rayleth blinked and looked back at Kyliska and Braeth’el as the two passed beyond the double doors, Braeth’el’s deep voice saying something he couldn’t hear and Kyliska’s giggling echoing back into the room briefly. He looked back at Biara, an eyebrow raised, “Good time…? And what of the accommoda-”

Biara silenced any further words by leaning forward, her lips pressed against his as she kissed him passionately. She held the kiss for a long time, her eyes closed as she felt his free hand come up and wrap an arm around her. Happier than she’d been in the longest time, she reluctantly broke away from the kiss, her nose inches from his, her eyes bright, “You ask too many questions my dear. My sister said you were welcome to stay here, and stay here you shall.”

With that she rose rather hurriedly from her seat, her hand still grasping Rayleth’s and drawing him up after her, their half-eaten meal left behind as the apprentice found himself being urgently tugged towards the dining room doors by a ravishing red-haired beauty that had decided she’d had enough talking for one evening.

As they passed through the spire, Rayleth was not quite sure whose amusement and surprise was greater, his own or the servants who stopped to stare in open-mouthed shock as Biara hurried past them with him in tow. And then they were at the double-doors to her private chambers, and the barrier was closed behind them.

And then, for a time, he quite forgot about anything else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment