A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Research Assistant

The top of the spirit lodge was open to the freezing cold winds of Frostfire, with the structure looming so high over the rest of the garrison that the land all around was visible. Fortunately, magical flames kept the cold at bay, and the hide covered roof of the somewhat primitive structure prevented snow from falling on any magical experiments or tomes that happened to be out.

Biara placed the finishing touches on the large prismatic crystal that she had conjured in the center of the open space, nodding in satisfaction at her work. Just as she finished, she heard Senior Apprentice Namia call to her from the stairwell below, "Magistrix Dayfire, the apprentices are ready for you when you've finished."

Biara turned towards the opening leading further down into the tower's core and called out, "I'm ready now, Senior Apprentice. Send them up."

With that she turned and stood beside the crystal, waiting as she heard the sound of footsteps growing nearer. Three Sin'dorei exited the stairwell and blinked in surprise as they saw the crystal, each of them shuffling along to stand in a line before Biara. The first of them was, of course, taller than the others, Rayleth's dark hair and glasses standing out beside the two blonde female Sin'dorei that had joined him at the top of the tower. The second of the two, Apprentice Lissa, seemed somewhat out of her league, awe on her face as she peered at experiments that were perhaps beyond her current skill level. The final apprentice, Apprentice Marielle, had a condescending look on her face as if the entire exercise bored her and Biara mentally noted that she would be one of the apprentices to watch out for as her attitude was already poor and her high opinion of herself didn't even remotely match her talents with the magical arts.

After the apprentices had ceased their shuffling and gawking, Biara smiled at them and gestured at the prismatic crystal beside her, "Welcome! The three of you have been recommended by the Senior Apprentice and by my own judgement as candidates for advanced studies. Only one of you will be selected for this role to begin with, although each of you show potential. Before I can make such a selection however, I must test you to further determine your qualifications. We will begin with a simple exercise involving the use of arcane magics flowing through a solid structure and I will judge how well you can absorb and direct this external energy."

Biara gestured towards the crystal again, making sure each of them was watching before she turned towards it, speaking over her shoulder, "I will demonstrate how this process works by tapping into the crystal's energy first. Watch closely and observe, for the test will be more subtle than you may at first believe it to be."

Biara reached out, magic building on her fingertips as she began to move her hand towards the crystal. She came within inches of touching it when a hand suddenly grabbed her wrist, Rayleth's voice barking out a warning, "Magistrix! Wait!"

Biara's mouth hung open in surprise, her gaze affixed on Rayleth's hand holding her wrist. She had expected, or at least hoped, that one of the three apprentices would recognize that there was a problem, but the boldness of the apprentice once again left quite the impression on Biara.

She turned to look at him, nodding, "Hold off a moment on saying anything."

Rayleth nodded and released Biara's wrist as the Magistrix turned towards the other two apprentices. Her voice took on a lecturing tone as she looked at each of them, "Apprentice Rayleth believes I should halt this experiment for some reason. Can anyone tell me why he has taken the rather audacious step of interrupting me?"

The two blonde haired Sin'dorei peered at the crystal for several moments before glancing at each other and shrugging. Biara sighed and then turned towards Rayleth, "Please, Apprentice, explain to me why you interrupted my spellcasting."

Rayleth dipped his head as he was acknowledged and spoke quickly, "Magistrix, the warding circles at the base of this crystal are missing two half-circle containment symbols. Activating the crystal would have sent torrents of powerful arcane magics towards we apprentices. I suspect this would have caused instant death at worst, or possible mutations such as are experienced by the Wretched at best."

Biara smiled and nodded, pleased with her apprentice, "Very well done, Apprentice Rayleth." She turned towards the other two, her voice stern now, "You two have failed the very first test, and therefore will not be selected at this time for advanced training. Remember what you saw here today, and recall that attention to detail is key when using magic. The slightest error can result in extreme danger. Be glad that Apprentice Rayleth was here to prevent you both from being badly injured during the testing. You are dismissed."

The two blonde elves blinked for a moment, mouths hanging opened. When they didn't move fast enough, Biara gestured with her manicured nails, shooing them out of the tower's top. She waited until they were gone before turning and smiling brightly at Rayleth, "I'm very impressed with your progress in your studies. Honestly that test was hardly fair and your ability to spot the intentional flaws in the wards was amazing."

Rayleth smiled at the praise, but then frowned, his voice low, "Would you have really burned us all to ash if I had failed?"

"Of course not," Biara replied, "But those two will think that I would have. They will fear that failure could result in death, which is a lesson they should take to heart. Mistakes happen, but mistakes with magic can destroy you outright or injure those you care about. Besides, I'm the monster of a Magistrix that chews up apprentices left and right...it's not like my reputation has taken any serious damage here."

Rayleth took this in for a moment, a smile making its way across his face. He pushed his glasses back up on his nose and spoke more softly, "You said something about advanced studies?"

Biara nodded and then spoke a word of magic, draining the pulsing crystal of its power. When all of the arcane energies had faded she strode across the tower's top, gesturing for Rayleth to follow. Nearby, the hard wooden floor was covered with thick furs; the most luxury available in the frozen hellhole that was Frostfire. Biara walked over to one of the thickest furs, slowly easing herself down to lay on the soft surface, her head propped up on one hand as she lay on her side.

She gestured for Rayleth to sit nearby, and secretly smiled as she saw his eyes briefly glance over the form of her hips as she lay on the floor, her dress doing little to hide her shape. She banished the thought for a moment, studying the dark-haired apprentice as he sat down cross-legged on a nearby fur rug, facing her.

"Rayleth, tell me more about your goals, what you want out of life," Biara said softly, watching him intently.

"Magistr-" Rayleth began. He was interrupted when Biara pointed at him with her free hand and shook her finger. He grinned and shook his head, "Sorry, I mean Biara. Honestly? I would like to become a Magister much like you. There is so much we can learn, so much we can accomplish with our powers for the betterment of Quel'Thalas. I'm envious that I cannot already contribute as you do."

Biara nodded at this, pleased with the answer. She toyed with a few strands of her red hair, thinking about what he had said, "You already have the power to make Quel'Thalas better, every Sin'dorei does. Your next steps will be hard, and possibly dangerous. Mastering magic is no small feat, and what you do with it will be weighed and measured by all. Are you prepared for that burden? Understand that I ask you all of this because I see potential in you above all of the others. You have impressed me."

Rayleth's voice had passion in it when he responded, "Biara...I've told you before, I will not let danger deter me from doing what needs to be done. My parents are not wealthy, they are not powerful adventurers or magic users who can reshape the land. They are gardeners and farmers; simple folk who just wish to live in peace. When I found out I had the gift, I knew I had to use it to help people like them, regardless of the danger to myself or the cost. With magic we can repair much of the damage done to Quel'Thalas. We can built amazing things, amazing artifacts. We could do so much."

Biara smiled at this, her voice wistful, "Magic is our lifeblood and is the most valuable tool we had. If only I had the knowledge, why, I would-"

"Create a barrier to protect our lands from the outside world?" Rayleth cut in. "Because that is what I would do. If I had the spells for it, I would seal all of Quel'Thalas off with powerful magics and keep our people safe forever. I know that it's not possible though, so I will do what I can to make a difference. I would follow in the footsteps of great Magisters like you."

Biara's eyes were wide as she gazed at Rayleth and she was silent for a moment. He had completed her sentence! Spoken the very words she herself had said a thousand times. To say she was thrilled was an understatement. When she spoke again, her voice was soft, "Rayleth, you have spoken the very depths of my heart with your words. Long have I believed in what you've said, and I have spent every waking minute of my life dedicated to trying to make the world safer for our people by whatever means I could, using whatever magic I could. Understand the cost though; sometimes you will be the monster in order to be the savior. Not all will agree with what you wish to do, or the methods that you choose to do it."

"I don't care, Biara. I will continue my studies, and I will do what must be done. If there are those who stand against progress, then they are simply wrong and should be discounted," Rayleth said with some fire in his voice.

Biara shifted, sitting up and studying him again in silence, a smile on her face, "I believe you Rayleth, and I want to help you achieve those goals. You are one of the most promising apprentices I've ever had, and one of the most fearless. You will become greater than any of the others if you continue to dedicate yourself. If you are willing to take my hand in this, know that I will support you and help you in whatever way I can. Essentially, I am offering to teach you personally, if you would welcome that."

Rayleth blinked, looking surprised, "That...is an extremely generous offer. I know how busy you are, and how difficult your work is."

Biara waved a hand at him, dismissing the concerns, "This will be harder for you than for me. There are some disadvantages to my offer, and I will make sure they are clear to you before you accept."

"As you wish, Biara. But I suspect I will not wish to decline your offer," Rayleth said with a smile.

"Well, the first and most difficult thing is that you will have to spend far more time with me in the near future," Biara replied. "As my research assistant, you will need to travel with me regularly to many different locations, from my estate to potentially dangerous locales."

As Biara spoke, Rayleth began to make faces of pretend-horror, shaking in mock-fear at the thought of being close to Biara so much. She grinned at him, playfully kicking his knee with the tip of her shoe, "I see that will not deter you, which is good! I suspect you may grow tired of me after a time, but we will see."

"I highly doubt that, Biara," Rayleth said. "I've enjoyed every moment we've spent together so far, and quite the opposite of what I was told to expect when I came here, this is the only place I'd like to be right now."

Biara blushed slightly, looking away from him for a moment before steadying herself and continuing, "Very well then. The second thing is that you will need to meet my sister, Kyliska. If you will have access to our estate, she needs to get to know you so that you can come and go as needed to obtain experiments or supplies from our stores in Sunfire Estate."

Rayleth nodded, smiling at her, "I would be delighted to meet Lady Kyliska. I have heard she is a dangerous and powerful Blood Knight and it would be an honor."

Biara tilted her head, one eyebrow perched, "What have you really heard about her?"

Rayleth grinned, "Well, that she drinks the blood of her enemies with her breakfast each morning, that she is incapable of going anywhere without the largest collection of weapons possible, that she can drink a dwarf under the table, and that she is more likely to break my face than shake my hand. Rumors do manage to get around the Magistrate."

Biara laughed, nodding, "And you're still willing to meet her, despite all of that?"

"Biara, if it means I have the chance to learn from you, to study with you, and quite frankly to spend more time with you, then I would be willing to meet Deathwing reborn in person and have tea with him. Your sister will not be an issue that would make me decline such a generous offer," Rayleth said softly.

Biara's smile was as bright as the sun at this, and the faint blush remained on her face as she stared at him, "Very well then, it is settled. You already know the dangers of magic itself, and what delving deeper into such secrets might mean, so I will not waste your time with warning you of that. This is your last chance to decline; once you make this decision, I will consider you my research assistant and will not hide this fact. You will put yourself in possibly greater danger, both politically and personally from the magic we are exposed to. If you are willing though, it would please me very much to have you take up such a role."

Rayleth grinned, nodding his head, "It would please me very much as well. I gladly accept your offer."

With that, Biara rose from her place on the fur rug, watching as Rayleth rose and stood before her, "Very well then, Research Assistant Rayleth! Be prepared to travel within a few days; we will be returning to Sunfire Estate and introducing you to my sister. You are about to learn much more about magic, about House Sunfire, and about me."

Rayleth smiled at her, staring into her eyes, "I will be ready, Biara. And I'm thrilled to have this chance, especially to learn more about you."

Impulsively, Rayleth suddenly offered Biara a formal bow that would befit a Lord or Magister of high station. He reached out, taking her hand in his and kissing it before releasing her and straightening up. The gesture was one that reminded Biara of the noble balls and galas that she once attended more frequently, and the blush that rushed to her face went all the way to her long eartips this time.

As Rayleth turned to go, she stared after him, her heart racing a bit as she thought about what had just passed between them, a smile playing across her lips. She prayed to the Light that her sister liked him, because Biara knew in that moment that she definitely was going to need to spend a lot more time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment