A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Once in Forever

Biara's laughter rang out through the forest, the sound musical and full of joy. It almost made her pause for a moment, her own laughter sounding so carefree. When was the last time she'd made such a sound? When she was a child perhaps, long ago when the cares of the world were not something she concerned herself with. She laughed again, just for the pure enjoyment of the moment, her hands coming down to hike up the hem of her dress and allow her to dash more quickly across the uneven terrain beneath the golden boughs of the trees of Eversong Woods.

Behind her came Rayleth's shout, his voice full of mirth as he scolded her, "Get back here! I'm going to get you for that!"

Biara laughed again, pausing beside a tree and whispering a word of magic as she held her hand palm upwards. Magical energy sparkled there for a moment, the air freezing and condensing into a crisp ball of fresh snow. She grinned impishly, peeking around the tree before hurling the snowball towards Rayleth's approaching figure, the cold ball striking him in the chest in a puff of snowflakes that dissipated quickly in the magically warm air of the enchanted woods.

Biara ducked back behind the tree that she'd been using for cover, smiling as she heard Rayleth sputtering from the cold flakes that had burst all around him. Magic could be deadly and powerful, but when one had a moment of freedom it could also be used for simple, fun or artistic things. She laughed again, picturing the look on his face as it hit him the first time she'd done it.

His voice had fallen silent, and Biara quickly turned and peered around the edge of the tree again. Her eyes widened as she realized he had slipped out of her sight, for he was nowhere to be found amongst the beautiful forest beyond. A moment later she squealed as a pair of hands wrapped around her waist, Rayleth materializing from invisibility behind her and catching her.

"Got you!" he laughed, pulling her towards him and holding her tightly.

Biara squealed again, laughing so hard now that she could barely catch her breath. She feigned defeat, collapsing against him as he drew her to him and causing them both to topple over backwards. He landed on the ground with an 'oof!', his back against the tree that had been providing her with its questionable defense, her own body landing gently in his lap.

"You are quite the forester," Rayleth said with some mirth.

Biara continued to laugh, finally managed to catch her breath as she shifted so she could peer into his eyes, "And you have learned how to properly cast and maintain an invisibility spell!"

"It is not very difficult to learn when my instructor is so beautiful," Rayleth said. "It makes one tend to focus on what she is saying quite closely."

Biara blushed at this, smiling and looking away from him, "Would that I had met you before I obtained all of my many scars. Perhaps I would have better lived up to such bold words."

Rayleth's smile faded only slightly, and he reached out to caress the wards on Biara's cheek, bringing her gaze back to his, "I've had ample opportunity to study what you think are blemishes to your beauty. I assure you, they do nothing to take away from what you are or make you less pleasing to the eye. I'm sure there are quite a few Sin'dorei who would kill for the chance to see the things I have seen."

Biara smiled at this, leaning forward to kiss her apprentice, her voice a low whisper, "If you keep speaking so sweetly I fear I will be even more smitten with you. Be careful with my heart; it has been through quite a lot in its time."

"Then I will handle it with the utmost care," Rayleth said, kissing her again. "I have never owned much in my life, but I would gladly trade everything in exchange for that most valuable treasure."

Biara sighed and leaned against him, cuddling with him and letting her eyes drift closed for a moment. Her hand rested against his chest, his heartbeat beneath her fingertips pulsing in time with her own. In the distance, a stream bubbled and gurgled and a soft breeze stirred the leaves in the boughs above them. She whispered to him softly, "I wish that I could stay in this moment forever."

He wrapped his arm around her, holding her close, his tone tender as he replied, "We can hold it forever, and set aside the rest of the world."

Biara stirred in his arms, her fel green eyes opening and staring into his. A hint of worry passed across her face as she gazed at him, and he looked down at her, a question in his own gaze. When she spoke now, she was hesitant, as if afraid of what would come next, "There is something I need to tell you. I should have told you this in the first place, but I was selfish and wanted my moment, wanted all of this. It's not fair to keep it from you though."

He frowned but held her gaze, nodding at her, "Tell me then, Biara. I wish for there to be nothing that troubles your mind, especially on my behalf."

She nodded at him and replied, "I have a daughter. Her name is Astariel Dayfire."

Rayleth looked surprised for a moment and then he smiled, "That is a wonderful thing, and not something to be afraid to tell me. I am somewhat surprised that I had not heard of her in the Magistrate, but this is not terrible news at all!"

Biara smiled at his words, "Do you really mean that? Because she is very important to me. I have risked everything...my life, my magic, my very existence for her. For her I have torn asunder barriers that should never be approached, and I would fight any battle on her behalf. She is a part of my heart and world, and if you seek to hold my heart you must know that she is a part of that."

Rayleth took one of Biara's hands in his, still holding her gaze, "That only makes your heart that much greater. Of course I mean it when I say it is wonderful! This is not something that would deter me or make me turn away, nor should it be. If she is a part of your life then she is important to me as well."

Biara smiled, leaning her head against his chest and holding him tightly for a moment, "I have dreaded talking about this, and now you've made me feel silly. I should have trusted that you would be open minded to this, and kind hearted as well. I have hidden her presence from the outside world to a degree, with only a few outside of my House aware of her. It is to keep her safe, protected, and happy that I do this."

Rayleth hugged her tight, leaning down to kiss the top of her head and then pausing to admire the flame red locks that spilled across his chest, "I will carry knowledge of her as a secret, even to my grave. You have my word on that. And if danger should threaten her, I will stand beside you to keep her safe."

Biara snuggled up against him, her eyes closed again as she listened to his heartbeat against her, her own arm wrapped around him. For a time, she just lay there, the sun playing across her and the soothing breeze almost lulling her to rest. He had fallen silent as well, content to lean against the tree behind him and hold her in his arms, marveling at the fact that he was actually doing such a thing, that a powerful noble and Magistrix had chosen him of all people to give her heart to.

Time passed, but seemed to also last for an eternity, and Biara smiled to herself, a thought playing through her mind and staying with her for the rest of that day, and many days to come afterwards.

This is what it is like to be happy. To love and be loved. This is what I have been missing for all of that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment