A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Friday, March 20, 2015

The Burdens of Lady Sunfire

Braeth'el passed through the doorway into the open room beyond, his footsteps almost silent on the plush carpet. Deep within the highest floor of Sunfire Estate's central tower, it was here that Biara kept her personal quarters, her research laboratory, and other chambers for her private or family use.

He paused near the entrance to the room, taking in the sight beyond. Biara sat on a cushioned seat that was part of a nook built into the wall of a reading room, sunlight streaming in through the large glass windows that surrounded the nook on three sides. Her red dress flowing down to the floor, Biara held Astariel in her lap, her other hand holding a tome open before the child.

For a moment, Braeth'el simply watched, Biara's lips moving as she softly spoke the words in the story, her voice low and inaudible from where he was. Astariel's eyes were wide with joy as she followed along, and as the Magistrix continued to read, magical shapes appeared above the page, dancing in the air in time to the Sin'dorei's words. From his angle, Braeth'el could see a white horse frolicking in mid-air, Astariel's delighted laughter reaching him from across the room.

It was clear that the Magistrix was reading from a tome that was both a children's book and an educational primer. Such books were often used to teach promising young magi about the basic principles of magic while also teaching them to read. By the look on Biara's face, it was clear to Braeth'el that the moment was precious to her, and so he let her finish the story and close the tome before he gently cleared her throat to alert the two of his presence.

"Uncle Brae!" Astariel exclaimed happily, scampering from Biara's lap and dashing across the room.

Braeth'el grinned as the small child reached him, snatching her up high into the air to her delight, her laughter echoing through the room, "You're getting so big Asta! Why one day soon you will be a powerful Magistrix just like your mother!"

Astariel giggled and then wrapped her arms around Braeth'el's neck, hugging him tightly for a moment and completely ignoring what he said, "Will you come and play? Mommy said that I could learn how to fight when I'm older and I want to watch you practice with your wooden swords!"

Braeth'el grinned, one hand holding the small child and the other coming up to tussle her fire red hair, "Of course, that is provided your mother has no chores or more lessons for you!"

"Yay!" Astariel cheered.

Braeth'el smiled again before gently setting the small child down, "Now Asta, I need to talk to your mother for a moment. Can you play in your room and then I'll come and get you when we're done?"

"Okay Uncle Brae!" Astariel said and happily dashed out of the room, heading towards her own room.

Once she was gone, Braeth'el turned and walked further into the room, smiling at Biara, "I think you and I need to have a little talk, Biara."

Biara looked at him with one eyebrow raised. She patted the seat beside her, inviting him to sit in the nook, "Please, do speak your mind."

Braeth'el nodded and walked over to her, sinking down onto the free cushion in the nook, feeling somewhat out of place being in such close proximity to her. He shrugged and met her gaze evenly, "Frankly, I must ask you a question. What exactly are your intentions with your sister?"

Biara blinked once, her gaze never leaving his, "I could ask you the same question."

"Look, I know that you've been discussing Kyliska's 'future' and you have mentioned many times that you are seeking a noble for her to marry," Braeth'el said evenly. "My question is, why? Why can't you let her be?"

"I'm doing what's best for Kyliska," Biara replied, her expression neutral. "She is my sister and I want to ensure her future is secure."

Braeth'el frowned, staring Biara down now, "Are you doing what's best for Kyliska, or what's best for Biara Dayfire? You know that she doesn't care about such things. Have you simply shifted a burden you carried onto her shoulders?"

Biara stirred, looking annoyed now, "No, it's not like that at all. Kyliska is perfectly capable of running this House, but she needs refinement if she is going to succeed. I am here to support her in those goals. I want to ensure she is happy."

"If you really wanted that, you would let her choose her own destiny and let her heart lead her where it will," Braeth'el replied. "Marrying her off to someone she doesn't love isn't going to make her 'happy' and only serves your own goals. Why is it that suddenly she must take up the burden of being the proper Lady Sunfire while you are able to go and have a dalliance with one of your apprentices?"

Biara turned beet red at this, her eyes widen, "How dare you speak to me like that? I'm the sacrifice here. I gave up the rule of this House so that all of the people under its roof would be safe and comfortable with Kyliska leading them. I have spilled my blood for our nation over and over, and lost a great deal of my years working to make Quel'Thalas a better place!"

Braeth'el shook his head, his hand coming out to grab Biara by the arm. His tone was low and steady as he stared at her hard, "Do you even understand what love is? It has nothing to do with our nation, or politics, or the thoughts of the servants. Do you understand that Kyliska just wants to be happy, just for a moment?"

He felt Biara tremble beneath his grip, his words clearly having an impact. When she replied, her voice was subdued, "And you believe you can give her that better than I can? Better than her own sister? I have seen your reports from your work. Does Kyliska even understand what it is you do? This time last year you were having your own 'dalliance' with a human woman who worked for SI:7. What do you think it would do to her if she knew? What do you know of love?"

Braeth'el released Biara's arm, his words coming out slowly, "I know...that your sister makes me feel things I've not felt before. I know that I will protect and care for her, and that I want her to be happy. I don't really care if it's what you want for her, because it's what she wants, do you understand? I won't let anything stand in the way of her happiness, and neither will she. If you push too hard, she'll cast you out and you will lose everything. Think of your day today, do you want all of that to be gone?"

Biara lurched towards Braeth'el, her hand snapping across his face and other other hand digging razor sharp nails into his knee, "If you ever again imply that I will lose Astariel, I will shred you to pieces with magic. Do you understand me? Never. Again."

Braeth'el watched Biara for a moment, the sudden change surprising him more than the slap or the pressure of her nails digging into his flesh. He nodded slowly, his voice full of wonder, "So you do know what love is. Understand that I feel the same for your sister. I will not let anything happen to Kyliska."

Biara stared hard at the spymaster for a moment longer, her expression finally softening as she nodded, "Very well. I believe you in this. One of us must make this sacrifice though, for the future of House Sunfire. I would much rather Kyliska be happy."

Braeth'el smiled and reached out, patting Biara's knee and surprising her with his touch, "You will figure all of this out in your mind in time. Love finds a way, Biara. You do not have to seal yourself away from it to protect an ideal. Think on that for a time, and know that in the meanwhile I will ensure that Kyliska is happy."

With that he rose, turning to leave the room. He paused as Biara's voice reached him from across the room, "You love her, don't you? You love her enough that you would risk my wrath for it. That you would risk death for it. I bet you've not even settled this thought in your mind yet, knowing what I do of you, but I can see it clearly."

Braeth'el turned, meeting Biara's gaze and seeing confusion and surprise written on her face. His response added to that, amusing him for much of the rest of the day, "I suppose I do, yes."

With a smile on his face, he turned and walked out of the room, leaving Biara to stare out the window, lost in thought, her voice low, "I'm so jealous. Someone must be the sacrifice for our House."

No comments:

Post a Comment