A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Site Write 2, Entry 26- Going Forward

Beckyann's war-cry echoed over the battlefield as her runeblade came down, neatly carving one of the ghouls in front of her to pieces. Behind her, her Knights charged into the fray, cutting down several of the undead and sending the rest reeling back. Although it was only a small pack of rogue Scourge, it was never good to let them wander through the Plaguelands as they could gather in larger numbers if allowed the chance and create bigger problems. That was the purpose of her foot patrols after all; to put an end to such threats.

The battle did not last long, with the last of the roaming undead being cut down near the base of a hill. Beckyann flicked gore from the tip of her runeblade before sheathing it, nodding to her other Knights. Just as she was about to turn away, she noticed a figure sitting on the hilltop above her, his form planted on a rock outcropping that capped the incline. From where she was standing, the man appeared to be older and wearing a full suit of plate armor. Although she could not see the colors he wore, the white and gold trim of his tabard immediately suggested he was an Argent Crusader, and the mace that leaned against his perch did seem to glow with a faint light.

Beckyann signaled to her men to wait, making her way up the hill and towards the figure. She approached cautiously, seeing up close that he was indeed an Argent Crusader and possibly sixty or sixty-five years of age. He stared off into the distance, and she cleared her throat before speaking so as not to startle him, “Sir, are you alright?”

Pale blue eyes that had seen many seasons turned to examine her. After a moment of silence he spoke, addressing her politely even if there was a tone of pure exhaustion in his words, “Yes, Lady Knight, I am alright I suppose. The dead have not troubled me yet, much to my woe.”

Beckyann tilted her head, peering at him intently, “To your woe? You wished them to come upon you then? For what purpose?”

The man gave her a sigh, shaking his head sadly, “I have fought for many years, Lady Knight. I have seen much sorrow in my life. My family was taken from me by the Scourge long ago, my homeland destroyed. Why, my daughter would be about your age I would guess, although it is hard to tell as you are now. To put it simply without any eloquence, I am tired. I wish to rest now. For too long have I stared down the darkness. It has finally defeated me.”

The sentiment surprised Beckyann, and she found herself at a loss of words for a moment. Although she had had moments of sorrow and despair as the man obviously was having, deep within her was a fiery will that refused to surrender. Those rare times where she had actually felt she was on the brink she'd always had friends there to breathe more flames onto that fire. Slowly she shook her head, speaking softly, “The world will always have darkness in it. You must look towards what it is that you create and protect, rather than what threatens to crush it.”

He smiled at her, his eyes sad, “You are kind to say such a thing, Lady Knight, but my time has come. I can go on no longer, and so here I will sit until death comes to claim me.”

Beckyann nodded, not knowing what else to say. She had to report back to Acherus with her patrol, and could not linger, “Very well, sir, I will leave you to your thoughts for now. May I return here though and speak with you again?”

He smiled, nodding, “It is kind of you to offer to stay with me in my final moments. Return when you can, although not too distant in the future, as the time draws near.”

With that, Beckyann nodded and then turned and walked away, heading back towards her patrol.

*****************************************

She returned the following morning, alone this time and bearing a pack on her back. He heard her armor jingling before he saw her, his eyes already affixed on her as her golden head peeked up over the edge of the hill line where she was walking. She offered him a smile and a nod before moving to sit across from him on one of the other boulders.

“And so you've returned,” he said, studying her. “You make me curious as to what you hope to accomplish. Given my desires, an emissary of death itself is an unusual companion in these moments, although perhaps fitting.”

Beckyann smiled at him, setting the pack down beside her, “We all feel as you do from time to time. I remember keenly the moments when I felt such emotions. Without others to stand beside us, we can falter sometimes. Perhaps you simply need an ear to listen, or lips to speak of things that you question.”

The man tilted his head, blinking at what she'd said, “I see. Well then, Lady Knight, there is perhaps one thing that you can answer for me. I have always wanted to know this. My wife...my wife and my daughter, both are lost to me for all these many years. Is there a hereafter? Will I see them again? My faith in the Light is strong, but I find in my final hours that I question my course, question my faith. Do you know what happens to us when we die?”

Beckyann's eyes widened in surprise, and when she answered him her voice was distant, as if she was not really speaking to him, “I...remember some things. I know...I know that there is a place that we go. That the Light calls to us when we...when you pass. I think....maybe I was happy there? Maybe I was with those who were lost to me.”

She paused for a moment, her baleful eyes locking with his, “I was torn from that place, so my memories are dim and fuzzy. I do know one thing however; the Light does not simply call to us all. We must earn our place there, be it through our words and deeds or by paying for those things in which we have failed. If you wish to see them again, you will remember this lesson well; surrendering to despair will get you to them no more quickly than living out the rest of your days.”

There was a deep silence for several minutes as the man considered her answer. He had little reason to question what she'd said; she had been through the pain of death after all. The pain on his face was plain for Beckyann to see as he looked down, his old eyes misty. After a time he composed himself, staring hard at her, “Have you come then to torment me, to make me feel terrible before I pass?”

Beckyann smiled at him, shaking her head. With one foot she scooted the pack she'd been carrying over to him, “Actually I came to bring you fresh water and jerky, so that you will not be hungry or thirsty as you sit your vigil. Perhaps I can convince you to change your mind, or perhaps not, but at least you can pass with your weapon in hand, facing the darkness one last time. I would envy you such an ending, for that option was taken from me long ago.”

He blinked in surprise, looking down at the pack, “I....well...thank you, Lady Knight.”

Beckyann nodded, still smiling as she rose, “Think nothing of it. And please do eat and drink; you have no idea how difficult it is to come across fresh food and water in the Ebon Hold. These things were not easy to obtain. I shall return again, hopefully to give you one last insight.”

He said nothing as he watched her walk away, pondering what had passed between them.

**************************************

She returned one final time as the sun was setting, this time surprising him a little because she was not in her plate armor. Off-duty now, she was wearing one of her black dresses with tinted glasses to hide the glow of her eyes. She carried a case in one hand as she approached, the object causing his eyebrow to arch in curiosity. She smiled at him as she sat on the rock across from him, noting that the pack she'd left had been opened and seeing the half-empty water skin sitting beside him.

“Good evening, sir,” She said politely. “I wonder if you would allow me one final argument against the course you've chosen.”

He smiled at her, nodding, “Yes, Lady Knight, I will hear you speak again. I will admit that your company has been rather uplifting over the past day and a half. It is difficult to face the end, and having someone beside you means much. It has been years since anyone paid heed to me in such a way.”

Beckyann smiled at him, reaching to pick up her case as she spoke, “Well, I actually wish to show you something rather than simply speak. I wish to give you an example. You see, when you look at me, you see a tragedy. You see a bit of the darkness that you have fought against. I wish to show you that even in the blackest night there are things that can be good, that can move you forward with the promise that one day there will be a better tomorrow.”

With that she opened the case, removing her violin from it. She applied rosin powder to the bow and she took the instrument up, smiling at the surprise on his face. She began to play, her first song a dirge for the dead, the sound hauntingly beautiful but incredibly sad as it flowed over the slowly darkening Plaguelands around them. He watched as she played, and she could see the emotions on his face as the song touched him. She concentrated, knowing that this performance was one of the most important she'd ever done, even if he was the only one there to hear it.

As the first song came to an end, she began to play another song, this one a more lively tune. When set to words, it had been about a mighty hero and was a folktale of old Lordaeron. Anyone who had once lived in the lands around them would be familiar with it, and she could see the corners of his mouth lift into a smile as he recognized the tune. She could see his eyes take on a distant look as he recalled the heroics of the main character that the song told of, and she watched as his hand tapped the rhythm of the song on his knee.

As that song came to a close, Beckyann's final piece was one she'd strategically selected. Heartrendingly familiar, she began to play Lordaeron's anthem with her violin, the song surrounding two former citizens of that nation and moving both. She could see the tears in his eyes as she played it, and she continued on, resolute in her mission.

The anthem was a dangerous thing to play in the Plaguelands at night. The dead remembered something of what they were once, or at least an echo of it. The ghouls and zombies that wandered through the twisted forests would be called by such an aching reminder of their lives, something that they couldn't touch and would want to stamp out to ease the pain. As she played, Beckyann could feel some of them gathering around the edges of the hill in the darkness, could feel their hatred bathing the two figures on the rock outcroppings.

She continued to play, even as the dead moved towards them, knowing that she had to finish for his sake, knowing that she had to remind him of who they were and what they could still accomplish. Lordaeron was dead, but the spirits that drove her survivors was not, and even in undeath Beckyann felt her emotions stirred by the song.

The undead came for them quickly, launching themselves up the sides of the hill, claws extended as they prepared to rend Beckyann to shreds to put a stop to the torment that her song gave them. Even as the anthem came to an end, shadows leaped at them, and she prepared herself for battle.

The first ghoul to land beside her reached out to grab her violin and was met with a glowing white mace to its face. Holy Light flared, illuminating the hilltop as the old man took up a position over Beckyann, his weapon flashing again and again. In the darkness, undead howled and perished under his skilled blows, his faith guiding his hand and filling his heart once more.

When it was over, he stood over her, looking down at her in surprise, his weapon still glowing and his chest heaving to catch a breath and with the emotions that had overtaken him. Around them lay the corpses of dozens of the undead, their forms finally put to rest by his righteous fury. Beckyann remained in her place, having never had to lift a finger to aid him, not even a single stand of her golden hair out of place as she smiled up at him. She spoke in a low voice as she began to put away her violin, “And now you see that there is still heart within you, that there is still something worth fighting for. In years to come, maybe no one will remember this moment, maybe this particular battle will not have counted for much, but you will look back on it and know that it meant everything, that you stood for the spirit of what was, and what can be again.”

As she rose with her violin case in hand, the man saluted her and then dipped his head low, his voice full of emotion, “Thank you, Lady Knight. For showing me that there is still life left in these old bones. I will not forget you, or your song. I will tell my wife and child of it one day, a day that will be far from now when my time actually does come.”

She smiled, nodding and turning to walk away, her tone happy, “May that be a distant point in the future sir, Light bless you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment