A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Last Goodbye

Several Years Ago
Stormwind City, two days prior to the departure of the Northrend expeditionary force

Shoes clicking on the cobblestones of Old Town, Belleri bit her lip in frustration, once again smoothing down the layers of skirt and petticoat that made up the lower half of her dress as she hurried along towards her destination. Normally she would never wear such a garment, but in just under two days her love Jonathan Stoneworth would be shipping off to Northrend and it was worth the hassle and expense to make herself look nice since they would not see each other again for what was likely at least a year. If ever.

Belleri shook her head, banishing such thoughts from her mind; what would happen would happen, and Jonathan was doing what was right in fighting for the Alliance and Stormwind. She only wished she could go with him, but her friends, family, and Jonathan himself had all told her she couldn't; that she would be of no use with the military forces heading north.

And so she hurried along, eager to see him one last time. Jonathan had told her that he would not be able to see her this evening, that he had arrangements to make before he shipped out. He told her he'd be at the barracks preparing his things, and that tomorrow evening they would spend their last night together. Eager to see him as much as possible before their long separation, Belleri had snuck over to the barracks to see him, only to find him absent. When she inquired with some of the soldiers there where he might be, they had given her directions to the Pig & Whistle in Old Town.

She gave little thought to the fact that he was there as she finally reached the doorway, eager only to see him and spend just a little more time with him. As she pushed open the door, the noise and smell of the common room washed over her. The rough clientele was laughing and drinking in the early evening hours, making quite a ruckus as she squeezed between them, searching for Jonathan. After some difficulty she located him and paused in horror, her mouth hanging open in shock.

Jonathan was about neck deep in a buxom waitress that was sitting in his lap, the two enjoying each other and ignoring the crowd around them.

Anger immediately pounded through Belleri's mind, her pulse racing as she stepped closer, her hands set firmly on her hips, "Jonathan Stoneworth!"

The man's eyes snapped open and the bar-wench tumbled from his lap as he beheld his beloved standing in a rather elegant and full dress, an enraged expression her face. He sighed and rose from where he'd been sitting, "Bell. I'd hoped you would have had the sense to listen to me and stay home for the evening."

Incensed, Belleri scowled at the man, her tone waspish, "Is this how you intended to spend your second to last night in Stormwind? With some bar floozy instead of with me? I thought we had something special between us! I may never SEE you again!"

Jonathan shook his head, sighing and stepping closer to her, "Bell...it's not like that. I'm a soldier, and I live the life of a soldier. In two days I'm going to ship out and my life's going to be in danger every minute after that. I deserve a moment to relax and just have fun before I have to face that."

Belleri's face paled as she took in the meaning of the words. She stuttered out a response, "W-with ME. You should be spending that time with ME Jon. You and I are supposed to complete one another. You made me promise to wait for you while you are away on your campaign, you told me I couldn't sign up myself because I wasn't strong enough, and here you are not even GONE yet and your own will isn't strong enough to resist a pair of tits in a low cut shirt."

Jonathan's face darkened as he began to get angry. His voice rose in volume, and several of the patrons around them turned to watch the display with amusement, "You don't know a thing about a man's work Bell, or you wouldn't say things like that. I'm going to be fighting and maybe dying for our kingdom and you're coming here and giving me guff when I TOLD you to stay put at home tonight? This is your fault for coming out here in the first place!"

A little gasp of indignation escaped Belleri's lips as the words struck her. She glared at him, jaw set, "Maybe when I find a real man I can ask HIM to teach me about a 'man's work' then Jon! All of you have been telling me what I can and can't do, what I should and shouldn't do. I'm sick of it. And to think you knew how upset I was and you planned this anyway. I hope you enjoy your little floozy Jon."

She turned to leave, only to have his hand grab her shoulder and spin her around. His face was red now and he stepped even closer. As he spoke, he shook her a little in anger, "Don't you ever give me lip like that again Bell. I can't believe you'd think it was alright to talk to me like this when I'm going to war. What an ungrateful little bitch you are!"

She saw red. Every muscle in her body pounded with the rage that flowed through her with her pulse. Her hand came up and broke his grip on her shoulder almost of its own accord. Her other hand shot out and shoved a nearby barmaid that had been walking past with drinks. The woman windmilled, the tray she'd been holding flying into the air. Belleri snatched it up mid-flight. It was made of sheet metal with a cork layer on top so that glasses would not slip on it. The glasses that had been on it tumbled through the air and came crashing to the floor.

With one swift, efficient motion Belleri swung the tray metal-side first into Jonathan's face. It struck him and made a particularly unique metal gong-like sound as it crumpled from the rather significant force behind the blow. Even as the crowd collectively winced and went "Oooooooooooh!" his body tumbled backwards onto the hardwood floor. He slid a few feet before his skin and clothing created enough friction to give off a rather amusing squeaking noise and brought him to a stop near a table.

Belleri stood over him for a moment, looking down at the unconscious man and holding a serving tray in her hand that had a rather distinct face-print on it. She spat on the floor once and said, "Should have been grateful that lip was all I was giving you. How do you like the bitch now?"

With that she turned and tossed the damaged serving tray over her shoulder. It landed on its edge, spinning with a clattering noise before coming to a rest. As she stalked out of the tavern, skirts and petticoats held in up at her thighs to allow her faster movement, the crowd broke into raucous cheering, whistling, and yelling. A small smirk played over her face as she stormed out and onto the streets of Old Town.

******************************************

The next morning, Belleri Giano's family would wake to find her gone. In her bedroom they would find locks of her raven hair lying on the floor where she'd cut it. On her nightstand was a simple note.

To my friend and family,
I've decided to do something useful with my life, something that will bring honor to my people and Kingdom. I've come to realize what is and is not important. Country, duty, and the lives of those within Stormwind are what matter, not the things I 'should' be doing. I am done pretending that I can ignore the needs of my Kingdom and my King. I am going to fight for him not in spite of the advice you've all given me, but because I see now that it is what I was meant to do, and I understand how important it is.

Our lives are lived in peace only through the sacrifice of those who stand up for what is right and defend our Kingdom. It is my turn to do my duty. I hope that you can forgive me for this, but it is something I must do. I love you all.
With love always,
Bell

That same morning a drill sergeant at the local military training camp would find one new addition to his platoon; a raven-haired girl with a determined look on her face who would do nothing more than repeat her name and demand to be trained; a demand that would be gratefully accepted given the dire circumstances of the rise of the Scourge across the lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment