A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Current Research Projects- A Summary

*The paper is left in a neat stack on Professor Ilhedith Knox's desk in her study; the study that is supposed to be off limits to her apprentices... *

Current Research Projects- A summary by Grand Apprentice Malandrae Moonwhisper

Current theories/research points:

1) Male pattern baldness- With the help of Eldre'nor, we have developed a partial cure for male pattern baldness in the human male. Attempts at using worgen fur to assist with male pattern baldness in other races has met with mixed results. While this treatment seems effective, lycanthropy appears to be a serious side effect ranging in conditions that vary from becoming a worgen to becoming an inanimate pile of goo. Additional research is suggested for this field. Despite suggestions otherwise, I have not sampled the goo to determine if it is edible.

2) Ward application- Much progress has been made in this field of study. While my wards do still have a fifty percent chance of delivering a lethal effect, I believe that with further study and testing I can reduce this to forty percent! I continue to practice this field of magic by applying wards to any objects which appear to need protection. My latest target objects have been the spoons in the kitchen, as they are made of silver and are prime targets for thieves. I saw Eldre'nor use one for her breakfast this morning, and she didn't die, so I'm taking this as a sign of success!

3) Buzzbox operation- I have been given a buzzbox by Miss Chelody Smallwing! Unfortunately I spilled wine on it, and it seems to turn on at random/inconvenient times. I am researching how to repair this device and possibly enhance its capabilities to assist me in hearing things that I cannot currently hear. I would be interested to listen to the sound of an insect breathing for instance, and am working on further developing this device. Unfortunately, I'm not even really sure what it is made out of or how it was created.

Future research/information points:

1) I would like to develop a spell that prevents my heels from sinking into sand. I have had quite a difficult time exploring parts of the world when wearing my favorite shoes and boots. I was advised to wear more 'appropriate' footwear but then I would be unimaginably short and that would be intolerable. I believe a spell to either repel the force of gravity or perhaps something to add downward thrust to my footwear should alleviate this problem. My work is ongoing.

2) Twilight's Hammer- This appears to be a cult of humans and others who wish to destroy the world while they are still ON it. This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, but several reliable sources have insisted this is the case. I believe that studying several test subjects from this group will allow me to better understand how they could be so very stupid. Stupidity is not to be tolerated after all! We must educate them! And also they attempted to injure Professor Knox, which is unacceptable.

3) Corrienda Windwhisper- This Druidess has provided me with excellent conversation as well as milk and cookies. I propose that additional research should be performed as to the proper depth of cookie dipping into milk that should be performed with each motion of the wrist. The study will require a large batch of cookies and milk, and may take some time to complete since the dipping process would need to be completed and measured and then the cookies tasted to determine which depth was best. I am hopeful that the Druidess would be willing to participate in such an experiment since she has such wonderful cookies.

4) Eyes- I have noted several people missing eyes. Professor Knox indicated that this is not common. I would like to determine a way to regrow these organs, but first must conduct more research into the resilience of the eyes of other races to determine which type of eye is best to concentrate on. This work is ongoing.

Upcoming interviews/information gathering exercises:

1) Silveria Silverleaf- This wonderful elf has offered to allow me to interview her. Topics of conversation should include the current state of the night elf empire, the lack of a queen, and reasons why Chelody Smallwing would not make an appropriate queen since she indicated that this was the case. I would also like to ask her about the pink elves and why I heard a druid refer to them as 'traitors'.

2) Mellery SunCog and Jazari Swiftblade- Miss SunCog has proposed that I interview Jazari Swiftblade to learn more of the gnomes and specifically to allow me to examine a male gnome in detail. I spoke briefly with this Jazari and he seemed amiable to having such an interview; he will not require a hat as a gift. I should also point out that he claims not to be suffering from male pattern baldness, although I will need to collect hair samples to verify this point. Miss SunCog believes that I need to learn more about both gnomes and dwarves. I will follow and observe her as much as possible whenever possible in order to do so.

3) Vomher Wyrmcurse- This is a pink elf. He apparently believes he is surrounded by idiots, or at least that is the impression I got from the brief conversation we had using the spell medium earlier. I will need to study him in depth to determine why he is so very pink in color. Hopefully some conclusion can be drawn from this. I would also like to examine his eyes to see if they are resilient to damage when compared to normal eyes, as per research point four.

4) Chelody Smallwing- While no interview is scheduled with Druidess Smallwing, I believe I should observe her closely to better learn her likes and dislikes. If she is to be my future queen, it would be appropriate for me to learn all there is to know about her. I have already drawn several images of her (attached) both in her traditional druid garb as well as a queen's raiment. Since I only saw her the one time, these drawings are currently only stick-frame, however I plan to enhance them at a later date. I will make a note of the method in which she wields power and help her find the best course towards queendom.

Summary

All research is progressing well. I am highly enjoying the lessons taught by Professor Knox. I believe that the future is bright, and am grateful to the Professor and others for giving me the opportunity to learn about this new world. If Eldre'nor would stop hiding my research documents I think that I would have progressed even further. I will put non-poisonous serpents in her bed while she is sleeping later to ensure that she ceases this activity at once.

*The rest of the page contains doodles, magical formula, poorly completed math equations, and a stick figure drawing of Chelody Smallwing wearing a crown.*

No comments:

Post a Comment