A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Mentor, My Friend

The sun had just set and Malandrae stood on the stone porch before the door to Ilhedith Knox's apartment. She stared at it for a long time, knowing what would happen when she opened it, knowing how much trouble she'd caused. She had taken the advice given to her by Silveria Silverleaf, and had told the Professor everything that had happened with the false Professor Victor Whitehearth. She had poured her heart out, confessing everything.

She had hurt Ilhedith deeply she was sure.

And now she stood before the door, knowing that it might be for the last time. She had betrayed Ilhedith's trust, and she had to face the consequences. She drew in a shaky breath and wiped at her face for a moment before stepping forward and opening the door, stepping into the darkness beyond.

In the narrow entry hallway she paused, turning to close the door. She could see perfectly fine in the dim light coming in from the street outside. She saw the silhouette of the human standing there, waiting for her, her arms crossed with displeasure.

"Malandrae, we need to talk," Ilhedith's voice came from the darkness. "I need to make some things very clear to you."

The elf turned to face the woman, feeling shaky and uncertain. "I know Professor Knox. I know what you're about to say."

"Do you?" Ilhedith began. "Do you truly understand? Light, Malandrae, do you comprehend how dangerous some of the things you've done can be?"

"But I only..." Malandrae began, trailing off almost immediately under the stern gaze of the human.

"You are in a place you have hardly even begun to explore," Ilhedith continued. "There are dangers here that you aren't aware of, enemies who would harm you just for the joy of it, and you go and take careless risks like breaching the security of our home."

Malandrae bowed her head in shame. There were no words to defend what she'd done. Ilhedith had told her not to allow strangers into the house, and she'd done exactly that. Nevermind that she was unaware that the man had been a Twilight's Hammer agent. Even if he hadn't been, she'd still broken the rules, and her transgression could have gotten everyone in the house hurt or killed.

"I make these rules for your safety, so that you can learn in an environment where you are free from worry," Ilhedith continued, lecturing her student. "I don't make them to restrict you or treat you like a child, but in some ways you ARE like a child. You need to learn about this world before you make a mistake that ends up bringing dire consequences with it. I'm very upset that you did this."

"I understand Professor," Malandrae said mournfully. Slowly she slid to her knees before the human and looking down at the ground. "I...I want to ask you just one favor. P-please just execute me. D-don't send me away. Don't leave me to wander the world alone again. I...everything I knew is gone, and this was the first place that I've found that could be a home and family again. I failed all of them, back in my world. I should have tried to stop them, should have been more convincing, should have done anything to change what was going on. But I failed them, and I've failed you now too. I could have gotten you killed. I-I know I don't even belong here. Just please, show me this mercy."

The statement was met by stunned silence as Ilhedith looked down on her apprentice in shock. "L-light..Malandrae...n-no, no I'm not going to send you away OR execute you."

She sighed and leaned down, slowly taking the elf's arm and helping her up. "You don't understand yet do you? You're not just my student, you're my friend. I'm saying these things to you because I care about what happens to you. I don't want you to get hurt when I'm not there to look after you. I want to give you the wisdom to keep yourself safe in a place you don't understand. I want to give you the tools to make the right decisions and guide you. I wouldn't just cast you away like that...Light!"

Malandrae looked at Ilhedith, her silver eyes glimmering. She wiped at them, sniffling a little. "Y-you really mean that? You won't send me away?"

"Of course not. But please, promise me in the future you'll be more careful alright? I don't want anything to happen to you," Ilhedith said softly. "Just please try to follow the rules here so you will be safe."

Malandrae nodded slowly and Ilhedith smiled. "Good! Now that we've had this talk, I have a surprise for you!"

It was the last thing Malandrae was expecting. She looked at her instructor hesitantly. "S-surprise?" She wiped at her face and blinked a few times. "I-I'm sorry, I must have s-some dust in my eye..."

The Professor smiled and took Malandrae by the arm, guiding her down the hall and into the kitchen. As the two entered, Malandrae saw that the room was lit by dozens of Hallow's End candles, each giving off either a soft yellow or soft green glow. Many were decorated with little spider or skull designs and they gave the room a festive air. On the table were three large orange pumpkins, and Eldre'nor sat at a chair, grinning happily.

"W-what is all of this?" Malandrae said, looking around the room in surprise.

Ilhedith laughed, guiding the surprised elf to the table and gesturing to a chair. Malandrae sank down and the human took the last chair, picking a knife up from the table's surface. "This, my friend, is Hallow's End, one of the BEST holidays of the year! I'm going to teach you and Eldre'nor a little bit about human customs, and we're going to carve pumpkins together!"

Malandrae smiled hesitantly as Eldre'nor beamed at her from across the table. "Yes! It's going to be so much fun Malandrae! Professor Knox was telling me all about it before you got home! And look at all the beautiful candles!"

Ilhedith smiled at the elf's excitement and nodded, "It will be! And while we work I'll tell you a little bit about the history of the holiday, and where it comes from. Later there will be candy as well!"

Malandrae brightened visibly at this last comment, "Candy? Celebrating together? I...that sounds wonderful. Thank you so much Professor." She reached out to grab her own carving knife.

Ilhedith winked at her and smiled, "This is what I do with my friends. I celebrate my favorite holidays with them." Both of the elves grinned at this comment, the earlier tension forgotten in the moment of excitement.

Hours later Professor Ilhedith Knox's apartment was decorated with three rather elegantly carved jack-o-lanterns. The two elves had taken to the tradition quickly, and their graceful hands had carved works of art to compliment the beautiful pumpkin Ilhedith had carved. The smell of baking pumpkin cookies filled the air, and the little row was illuminated by the beautiful candles set in each jack-o-lantern.

From the open window, the sounds of laughter traveled out into the night. The sounds of three friends spending time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment