A blog dedicated to fictional short stories and role-playing across a spectrum of video-games and fantasy worlds.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Research Journal 7, Entry #204

Within an inter-connected series of laboratories within the center Dayfire spire, Biara's personal workspace is set up. The area consists of  alchemical work tables and numerous magical drawing  boards currently covered in calculations and equations. Lying on a nearby worktable is one of her research journals. Most of the book is filled with mind-numbingly boring mathematical equations and magic theory that the Magistrix appears to have either been extremely excited about or  frustrated with. The entry below lies on a recently opened page, penned in meticulous script.

My most recent projects have had some rather interesting results and side effects which I previously had not anticipated. The power of the various forms of magic that I have absorbed or restrained for my purposes cannot be questioned, but the usefulness of some of this magic must be carefully considered given the risks posed and the degree of control necessary to maintain the magic's focus. Only by carefully balancing forces against one another can some of the more volatile elements and aspects of magic be used properly, and even then there are sometimes accidents.

The recent destruction of one of my pleasure dens, along with the intense magical backlash that resulted from combining scourge and fel magic sources together point to a rather serious shortfall in my planning. These two elements are both volatile when used alone, and combined created a disturbing amount of destructive force. It is clear now that additional elements, beyond the arcane forces that come naturally to those of my blood, must be applied to keep these forces in check.

To this end, I have begun calculations on the effects of absorbing a larger amount of Life energy, either Light or some other form, to add into the mixture of existing magics that I have at hand. This should counteract the negative effects of the two forms of magic I've already studied, and provide more control to their use. The primary question that needs to be answered is how to obtain this magic, and below I have outlined a list of creatures that I believe may contain enough of this power to drain out and use for such a purpose:

1) Ancients of War used by the Kaldorei
2) A significant quantity of light-wielders, such as priests or paladins of the enemy
3) A red drake
4) A titan construct designed to channel light or life energy

Of the options above, I believe the third option would be most suitable. The first two would require a large expenditure of power both in arms and magical equipment, and there is a chance the foe could determine my plans based on the prisoners taken. I will keep both options open for future consideration however. The fourth option is not preferable, as the Titans possess great magical power and such power is to be respected and researched more closely before any attempts to seize it are made. It should also be noted that the Titan artifacts left on this world may offer a much wider variety of uses than the current research calls for, and these purposes should not be put to waste.

I will begin work on this phase of the project immediately, as I believe absorbing this type of magic would be useful, especially concerning the powerful scourge magic at my disposal. I have channeled this energy into the element of ice, which is very closely related to that darker magic. The results have been spectacular, and my ice-based magics can easily destroy most foes. Side effects include a chill in the air and discomfort of those who are unused to such magic, but these are minor concerns compared to the power I've gathered.

On a side note, and related to the scourge, I engaged in a small campaign for the Dark Lady over the past few days. Of particular note was an assault on the Dalaran Magi of Ambermill. I was quite pleased when the Dark Lady requested my assistance in launching this attack, as my view on the human mages of the Kirin Tor is abysmal at best. The humans had developed a rather unique defense mechanism involving a pocket dimension to keep their town from assault in the real world. I was able to obtain a codex containing their work and with it we were able to overcome these defenses.

I engaged many of the Dalaran magi in spellduels, destroying them outright. This would not be an interesting matter to write down in this journal except that after I defeated these magi, the Forsaken forces arrived. The Dark Lady has made use of a particular type of undead creature known as a Val'kyr. These creatures used necromantic magic to raise the dead Dalaran magi as Forsaken, and I was able to observe this ritual first hand. To say it was fascinating is an understatement! Turning the dead humans into new recruits is an ingenious idea, and something the Forsaken should pursue with a vengeance. Considering that the humans plan to steal Forsaken blight to use against MY people, this is a well-deserved punishment for their crimes. Perhaps once the humans have been fully enslaved by the Forsaken and turned, we will finally have the upper hand in this war? Only time will tell, but I will continue to study these Val'kyr closely.

There is one final point I must make that should be written down for future research. During the campaign, I witnessed the Dark Lady herself receiving a rather grievous wound. When she was revived, she said something that made me pause. The words she spoke were very similar to the words that I know Arthas spoke in his final moments. I have seen magical recordings of that moment, and remember the words of the so-called Lich King well.

"I see only darkness for me."

The Dark Lady indicated that when she was near death, she too saw 'only darkness'. Could this be a side effect of the heavy use of scourge magic? Are their spirits being taken to a place of darkness upon death, as Light-wielders are taken to a place of the Light? Having witnessed many encounters with the undead and with spirits, this is a puzzling question. It asks a further question: where will I be taken, given the mixtures of magic that I employ? Time will tell I suppose. One would hope that I am returned to my father's side to rest, but if I must face darkness in the end in order to save my people, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment